Keezer in a closet build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
I recently finished my keezer build. I waited until it was finished to post my build thread because I hate when I am left hanging for the next update.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428333147.240208.jpg
This is the freezer I used as a base, a GE 7.0ft. It is sitting in it's eventual home, a shallow closet in the room I plan to convert to a home bar after this project is finished.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428333347.993429.jpg
The base, made from standard 2x4's with non swiveling casters. I had to add some 1/4" spacing blocks between the long and short boards to get the frame sitting as close to the floor as possible. I ended up getting it about 1/16" off the ground.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428333614.672182.jpg
The freezer on its base and collar in place for sizing test. The collar is made from pine and is 9" high. It is assembled using pocket holes and screws. Love my Kreg jig. I used it quite a bit in this build.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428333835.392915.jpg
My temperature probe setup. I used a plastic peanut butter jar and White Labs yeast vial. The jar is filled with water and the vial is suspended from the lid in the water. The probe is kept dry, and the water surrounding it keeps the freezer from kicking on as often.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334140.037770.jpg
Coffin parts laid out and stained. Both the coffin and bar top are made from red oak and stained with minwax's black cherry stain.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334335.923811.jpg
Bar top assembled and stained. It measures 57"x28". The picture isn't the greatest, but all I got.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334485.875631.jpg
Mock up of coffin on the top.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334572.857243.jpg
Attaching collar to the top. In hindsight I wish I hinged the top instead of attaching it. That thing is heavy.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334693.976302.jpg
Insulated and installed mounting board for electric, co2, and beverage lines.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334831.829171.jpg
Top attached and taps installed. I went with 4 stainless perlick 630's.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428334949.541314.jpg
Craigslist score! 5ft tall commercial Sobe Adrenaline Rush beverage cooler. Love this thing. Had 4 racks in it, but took 2 out so it would fit bottles and have room for 750's and liquor on the bottom. The red bubble on the front has a lightning effect similar to a plasma globe.

Continued in next post...

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428335383.493178.jpg
The 6 free tap handles that were given to me when I bought the cooler.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428335467.622981.jpg
Bar top epoxy poured and cured. It took 3 coats due to bubbling issues. Apparently oak's coarse grain traps air and releases it when it is epoxied. I used heat to pop as many as I could during curing. After it set up, I poked into suspended bubbles and lightly sanded them out. The second coat filled them in, but left some areas lower than others. I think I didn't have enough epoxy applied. I doubled the amount of epoxy for the third coal and it came out pretty well. Overall, I used a gallon of epoxy.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428335932.060385.jpg
Built a panel from 1x2 oak and oak plywood to fit the closet doorway and hide the freezer.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428336085.309293.jpg
Lines run, and chains attached to the sides and base to keep the lid from opening too far. This is why I wished I had hinged the lid as well as the collar because if I open it any further, it lifts the front side off the ground. Still need to expand air lines to accommodate a 4th keg. Currently on tap is an imperial IPA, honey porter and a semi sweet mead.
AND, I'M SPENT....

Nice build. I like the use of the closet space. Where did the bottle fridge end up?

That fridge is a sweet score!

I like the closet space use for the Keezer.

Ya. The fridge is great. I was going to use the regular fridge I was using for the kegs to hold bottles, but when I saw this one, I had to jump on it. Now the old fridge is going to be used for cold crashing and storing hops, malt and yeast.
Also just finished hanging a dartboard in a cabinet I built.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428790005.832304.jpg

It's a lot of work, but I have enjoyed doing it. It has taken about three months to get it to this point. I didn't detail it in the main body of my post, but I did some remodeling on the room as well. There was some ugly sky blue carpet in there that I ripped up and replaced with hardwood laminate. I also painted over the white walls with a warmer sand color. I still have some things left to do, like shelves on either side of the bar top and up the sides, and I am looking for a large mirror to go on the wall behind it. I may buy just the mirror and build my own frame for it. I am also in the planning stages for a table with a recessed chess/checker board, and trying to locate a foosball table.

The chessboard pub table is complete. It is 2'x2' with a 20"x20" playing area. The chessmen are aluminum and were made in 1962 according to the date stamped in the bottom. Now I just need to make/find some large checkers. Contemplating taking a large wooden closet rod and taking 1/2" to 3/4" slices to make them.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431106088.903100.jpg

Latest posts

Back