Keezer has ice in corners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
My keezer has ice build up in the 4 corners at the bottom. I recently put in a fan to suck up the cold air to the top. I did have a few gaps that I need to fill in which I did. I have insulation on the inside of the collar.

Could the build up be from the holes that I had to plug?

What's the best way to get rid of the ice? It actually takes up enough room where I can't fit a 4th keg (which is usually a tight fit anyway).

I pretty much have the same issues. I sealed everything as best I could, put couple different water removers in there, couple different fans etc... still happens, I just take a spatula and scrape it out about every 6 weeks or so...

MOST ice (build up) comes from the new air that gets introduced into the container while the door is open.

If you have that much ice then you have a leak somewhere bringing air into it.

I'd recommend using some damp rid or check out this video to make your own:

Time to clean the inside of your keezer out! Turn off the freezer, pull the kegs out, in about 30 min. all the ice will fall to the bottom, clean and dry everything you can and reassemble. Don't try to chip out the ice unless you need a new keezer!

MOST ice (build up) comes from the new air that gets introduced into the container while the door is open.

If you have that much ice then you have a leak somewhere bringing air into it.

I'd recommend using some damp rid or check out this video to make your own:

I did have some big openings. I plugged them but I need to do a better job. I'll be building a new collar this summer. I'll do a better job with the holes for my co2 tube and temp probe. I'll fill them with an expanding foam.

Looks like I'll be cleaning it out tonight. I did use a flathead once and noticed it started making dents in the side so I stopped. I'll warm it up and clean it well. I've been meaning to get something to remove moisture.

Unless a keezer is hermetically sealed it is going to essentially "breathe" exterior air in every time the interior temperature drops. About all one can do is keep a small fan running to prevent stratification, cycle dessicant inside (I used a pair of EvaDry units), keep the keezer as full as possible, and use the highest temperature set point that will still meet the desired pour temperature...

Cheers!

Back