Keezer Fans???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I am almost done with my Keezer Build! I see some folks have added small computer fans to there designs to regulate temp better. My Keezer is from a new GE chest freezer, do I need to do this? I will if it is "better" but is this a mod due to old freezers with not-that-great insulating abilities?? My collar is 9 inches so what kinda temp difference do you think I could be getting from top to bottom? ? If its a one degree difference it's nota big deal, but 3 or 4 is.... Right?

Without the fan I've found a difference of around 5-7 degrees between the top of the keezer and the bottom. Bought my freezer new. Depending on what temp you have your controller, that kinda difference can mean freezing the bottom of the kegs. The fan also seems to cut down on moister production. It's a relatively easy DIY project and pretty cheaply done too. I bought some 110v computer fans off of ebay and use them all the time. Not just for the keezer, but other projects like my fermentation chamber etc. Is it essential? Probably not, but well worth the time investment....especially after you've spent all this time building the keezer.

I found big temp differences in mine. I just sat a cpu fan in top of the kegs, seems to help make the temps more even

What's the easiest way to wire that thing up?
Code:
                                        /-> Freezer
Wall ->  Power strip -> Temp Controller- 
                                        \-> Wall Charger (like cellphone /old router)  -> Fan (with some wire nuts and tape)

At least that's how I'm going to do mine tomorrow-ish.

Also read/heard about lifting the kegs off the bottom. Since you have a 9" collar, shouldn't be a problem. I plan on tossing two fans in since I have several. One near the top and one near the bottom. Build a simple rack for the bottom to lift the kegs up about an inch and to allow air to flow all around them.

Will it make a huge difference? Who knows but I have extra wood laying around.

I have my computer fan running non-stop. It's not on the temperature controller. Been running for almost 3 years now with no issues. If I burn it up....I got my money out of it.:tank:

I used an A/C computer fan from Radio Shack. Seems like it was about $15. I went that route so I could tap it directly into the keezer wiring instead of having to plug it in separately.

That was my first keezer. After that one died, I got a great deal on a frost free freezer. It had a fan as part of the frost free mechanism. I just wired it to always be on.

I use one in my chest freezer fermentation chamber. I use it just for consistency in temperature, helps keep the liquid and air temps close to each other and keeps any thermometer sensors accurate. Also, there can be a large vertical temperature gradient without it!

I'm using the Bilge Pump Fan here since it is rated for "wet" environments:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BMATFK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I mounted it towards the top of the keezer blowing warm air down. I used a cheap flexible aluminum tubing from Lowes to get the air to the bottom of the keezer. I run it 24/7 using a variable voltage plug set to 4.5 volts. You could probably just use a 5 volt cell phone charger cord. Running it at 12V is way too much air and too loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, a small electronics fan is a good idea. I built a coffin keezer and the fan was an absolute necessity. It also keeps air moving in the main keezer compartment. It sits on top of the foam duct on the left and directs cold air right onto the tap shanks. It runs 24/7. There is a second hole on the right side for tubing and return air.

DSC_0347.jpg

Not to mention you will get much better heat transfer from the moving air than you will from stagnant air. Making your cooler more efficient.

Mine reduced some foaming issues I was having with my first pours due to tubing temperature differences and it really helps with moisture problems. I think it's a must-have for a keezer.

pmcint01 said:
I'm using the Bilge Pump Fan here since it is rated for "wet" environments:
http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Quiet-Blower-White-4-Inch/dp/B003BMATFK

I mounted it towards the top of the keezer blowing warm air down. I used a cheap flexible aluminum tubing from Lowes to get the air to the bottom of the keezer. I run it 24/7 using a variable voltage plug set to 4.5 volts. You could probably just use a 5 volt cell phone charger cord. Running it at 12V is way too much air and too loud.

How loud is that fan? More or less than a computer fan?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an eight to nine degree difference between top and bottom so I'm running the typical comp fan non stop. I enclosed it in a project box with holes on top and a larger cutout on the bottom, hasn't died yet and there cheap to get anyway. Solved the problem completely.

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

You don't point fan. You run tubing up to tower so it blowing ambient temp onto or into tower lines.

You don't point fan. You run tubing up to tower so it blowing ambient temp onto or into tower lines.

I don't have a tower on my Keezer. What I am getting from everyone is it doesn't really matter the direction that the fan blows as long as its moving the air.

Back