Keezer controller with switched and constant power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
I had posted this in the kegging forum but seems that the DIY thread was the right place to put it...

I read thru a bunch of the threads on keezer controlers using the STC-1000 controller from amazon. Since I'm just getting into kegging my beers, this was the next logical step.

So I bought a 7.2 kenmore freezer from Kmart after scouring the local craigslists to no avail...

Then I read thru more of the forums to find what I wanted to do:

I wanted to have the cooling/switchable circuit as well as a constant on power outlet to power an old computer fan, as well as a green light to show when the unit was running (switched power was on). I didn't need the heating circuit as I'll build another one similar but on the heating side for a fermentation chamber.

So my needs were simple and after looking around the forums at some different options, here is what I ended up with:

STC-1000 controller from amazon (about $20)
Radio Shack 8"x6"x3" project box (part # 270-1809, $8)
Radio Shack green 120vac bulb (#272-0708, $3 for two)
9' tool replacement cord Home Depot (#342576 $13)
3/8" cable clamp (#839647 $2)
wire nuts
spare 14ga solid wire
two duplex outlets
dual cover for outlets (two outlets on one panel)

I followed all the usual directions (drill holes in the corners, used Dremel cut wheel to cut holes for two duplex outlets, STC-1000, green light and power cord). Here is where I ran into changes so thought I would post a little info on how I wired mine in case someone else is looking to do the same setup:

Main Power Cable from wall has three wires- white, black (power) and green (ground).

Black wire- split into three wires with wire nut- one to #1 on STC-1000, one to #7 on controller, and one to the gold screw on the continuous power outlet.

Green wire (ground)- this split into two wires, one to each power outlet ground.

White wire- split this into three wires as well. One to #2 on STC-1000, one to each power outlet (silver screw side on the ones I have).

At this point you have just a couple of extra connections to make:

1 wire from #7 outlet on STC-1000 to the gold connector on the switched power outlet (this provides the power to the switched outlet when the circuit turns on).

To power the green bulb, I added an extension of lighter wire (the blue and red/pink wire in the photo- 18 gauge?) from the silver and gold connections on the switched outlet (the other two that were not being used by the "main" power leads) to the two leads from the bulb. So when the outlet is energized, the light turns on.

So onto the photos:

mess of wiring on the box before I put the lid on: three main wire nuts (red). Ground is green/brown, most of the power wires are black, and the white is the return wire (except one from #7, where I needed a longer wire and only had white):
image-2.jpeg

Photo of the outlets wiring

image.jpeg

and lastly here is the finished box:

controllerfinal.jpeg

that's about it for my first DIY post on HBT. Hopefully it will help out some other newbie as they make their first controller for their freezer. I knew the info was out there to do it the way I wanted to have mine run but just put it all into one place. It's been running all day and so far it's good to go. Now to figure out the best settings for the controller, and figure out if I ruined my beer by leaving it in the freezer for about 6 hours and freezing it... :( went out on a parts run and forgot that I had turned it on to cool it off. DOH!!

if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this easier, or if I missed something by not doing a heating side, or any other comments, I welcome the feedback.

happy Brewing!

OK, this is exactly what i need to do. I also am going to want to run a fan, and maybe some LED lighting.

that was my thoughts when I built this. have two outlets for constant power so I can run the fan and whatever else I might want to add, and a switched power for the keezer. i could put the fan on the switched power if I wanted but pretty sure it'll stay constant.

I only needed the cooling circuit as I"ll probably build another similar one to use with heating and cooling for a fermentation chamber.

Anyway it was just putting together other ideas I saw on the forum but no one seemed to have just the setup I wanted to do and thought I'd share mine. It's been running for the past month or so and no issues so far.

Speedy, let me ask you a question. I wanna put a fan (always on) a light ( comes on when I open door) and a another fan pointed up a draft tower ( only blows when draft tower needs cooled). Could I splice all this into stc 7and8? And basically everything else be what you did?

I'll have to check and see exactly which ports do what. generally, with the STC you have three options for power- constant, on when it needs to cool, and on when it needs to heat. Since I was only using it on the fridge, I didn't bother with the heating circuit, just the cooling circuit.

so yes the fan would be on the constant circuit (which is what I use mine for as well), but the light on when the door opens would have to be wired into a switch circuit in the freezer (assuming there's a switch on the lid) and then maybe the constant current (so it would be "hot" all the time but only actually turn on the light when the door is opened). The fan for the draft tower would probably have to be wired into another controller with a temp probe in the tower? then it would be switched as well. Or you could just put another fan on constant and point it into the tower and see if that helps control the temp enough?

Ok, yeah, I see what you are saying.
How many always on outlets could i safely have, 3 maybe?
I appreciate you helping with this. When i actually get around to wiring it up i may have more

Thanks again!

I would assume I have two outlets on each circuit so given the very small draw of the always on outlets (fans, small light, etc) I don't see it as being an issue compared to the draw from the freezer on the switched circuit.

Ok speedy. Need some help here.

I started hooking it up. I have power to stc. Black in #1(all the way left) white in #2. Then I have a black running from 7 to gold on outlet and white from 8 to silver on outlet. And green from cord to ground on outlet. I hear the stc click on to cool, but the test lamp does not light up. What gives?

beercity23 said:
Ok speedy. Need some help here.

I started hooking it up. I have power to stc. Black in #1(all the way left) white in #2. Then I have a black running from 7 to gold on outlet and white from 8 to silver on outlet. And green from cord to ground on outlet. I hear the stc click on to cool, but the test lamp does not light up. What gives?

You have to run power to #7 on the stc then run your black from #8 to the gold side of the plug your white wire to the silver side of the plug will hook to the wire wire coming from the power cord. Like in this pic I used to wire mine

image-1308497787.jpg

i see. i didnt know y ou just had to run the hot into 7 and then back out of 8 to the outlet. That makes sense, its just a switch in there.
Thanks for the help!

Back