Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBU123

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my keezer build next weekend and have a question. I am planning to use 2x6's for the collar and plan to adhere that to the chest freezer meaning that the lid will open/close on top of the collar.

If I use that factory hinges, using 2x6's would mean that the hinge would be attached to the collar instead of the freezer. Any structural problems doing that?

Thanks!

Chris

I have had my keezer for about 6 months and have not had a problem. There is a lot of info on keezer construction (I looked at it all I think) but most used silicon adhesive to secure the collar to the freezer. Myself, I use 3/4" board plus 1" insulation plus 7/16 OSB for my collar (wanted insulation) it worked well, You will be fine with silicon adhesive, weight it down and let it sit for a day or two.

I used 1x8 and i have not had any problems, i just doubled the back side. It has been in place for over 8 months with no ill effects.

I'm getting ready to start my keezer build next weekend and have a question. I am planning to use 2x6's for the collar and plan to adhere that to the chest freezer meaning that the lid will open/close on top of the collar.Chris

If I use that factory hinges, using 2x6's would mean that the hinge would be attached to the collar instead of the freezer. Any structural problems doing that?
Not at all.
My first keezer worked for 11 years and my new one 8 months with a 2x4 collar and 1x6 skirt. The 1x6 skirt goes below the freezers lip to hold the collar in place without any glue or fasteners.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

i just got done building my keezer. i used 1x8 boards, which were more like 3/4 x 8. i doubled them up and glued them together so its really a 1 1/2x8 collar. used construction adheasive and also machine screws through the lid into the collar. its got some weight to it but after using longer bolts, the hinges hold the collar pretty well. they are alot stronger then you think. its a kirkland signature freezer.

Back