Keezer build problem & question?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
So I scored a old gibson chest freezer for free on craigslist. It was in rough shape so the plan was to paint it, put a new lid gasket on it, as well as a collar. Also have a love controller and a few taps comming. I am comfortable with the construction BUT...

The freezer is soo old that the lid gasket is discontinued. Can I us two strips of 3m black foam weather stripping? One on the lid and the other on the body of the freezer? I found a few other gaskets with the same dimensions as the footprint of my freezer but I dont want to shell out 70$ only to have it not fit and then pay return shipping ect... I figure that if i weight the lid properly it will seal pretty well. This thing is pretty old so I want it to be as efficient as possible

Does anyone have experience restoring an old freezer like this? Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
JP-

My guess is that the foam strips will works perfectly for what you intend! You mentioned weighting the lid to help it seal, I say go for it. Shoot if it works (and it will) you saved $70 bucks! It'll work:)

alright I thought it would but I was just looking for some reassurance!! Might be a PIA getting it balanced between sealing well and staying open when I raise the lid but thats what DIY is all about
Thank you for the quick response
JP-

Tile the lid. Plenty of weight.
Cut a stick to prop it open. All problems solved ;)

But...hopefully the ol' girl won't gasp her last breath just when you get her all spiffed up...

Cheers! And Good Luck!

Back