Keezer build looking for recs on freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jready

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am about to build a keezer and am looking at three chest freezers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them to know how many kegs they could hold. I would love to have it be able to hold 6-8. Space is at a premium but here are the three I am considering. I checked the spec thread and these didn't seem to match any in there:

GE 10.6 ModelFCM11PHWW- this one I'm a bit concerned might not fit through my door I believe I have 30 inches to work with but it is on sale at HD for $298

Sears 8.8 Kenmore 12909- I like that this one is black also on sale $269

Frigidare 8.7 Model FFFC09M1RW on sale for $298

I figure I will build a 10 inch collar. I plan to use the freezer to also store the cold water for two FTSs cooling systems for Conicals. I have three taps purchased but would like to go up to four later. I figure 3-4 on tap with 3-4 on deck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone I am about to build a keezer and am looking at three chest freezers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them to know how many kegs they could hold. I would love to have it be able to hold 6-8. Space is at a premium but here are the three I am considering. I checked the spec thread and these didn't seem to match any in there:

GE 10.6 ModelFCM11PHWW- this one I'm a bit concerned might not fit through my door I believe I have 30 inches to work with but it is on sale at HD for $298

Sears 8.8 Kenmore 12909- I like that this one is black also on sale $269

Frigidare 8.7 Model FFFC09M1RW on sale for $298

I figure I will build a 10 inch collar. I plan to use the freezer to also store the cold water for two FTSs cooling systems for Conicals. I have three taps purchased but would like to go up to four later. I figure 3-4 on tap with 3-4 on deck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

as soon as you have a nice setup, you'll want it to be bigger! I went with 6 taps and a 10-keg freezer. It sounded like too much when planning it but figured I would grow into it over the next few years. I was right! Now that sucker is always filled and I have a few kegs lagering in my 'beer cellar' ~50F ambient as well. I'm so glad I went big right at the start. :)

I agree with Firerat. If anyone is looking to make a keezer, that thread is the most valuable tool imo for seeing which freezer fits the bill. Thadius really put in the research for the community here.

I agree with Haus about wanting to go bigger too. I did. I thought 4 taps were enough. The first freezer, a GE 7cuft, held three-four kegs with barely enough room for my co2 tank.

I stepped up to the Maytag 14.8 cuft and now have plenty of room. More than double of the GE. What I liked most about the Maytag is the compressor hump was just a small corner in the back. It didn't go front to back like a lot of them, so that gave me space for an extra keg. With the co2 tank outside, I can fit 8-9 kegs in there. This also will allow me to upgrade to a 6 tap tower and still have room for a couple more kegs to be carbing up.

I'm also looking into the FFFC09M1RW. A friend has it and says it can comfortably hold 4 cornies without putting any on the hump. It looks like it could easily hold a couple of co2/nitro cylinders on the hump too.

I just built one with a 7.1 c/ft Haier freezer.

http://www.target.com/p/haier-7-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white-hf71cm33nw/-/A-17293944

I picked it up at a scratched and dented warehouse for $150. Just a small dent on the button right corner. It can hold 3, 5 gallon kegs without a collar. However, if you build a tall enough collar (8"-10"), you could fit 5 kegs. I built a 6" collar, so I'm going to put 2, 3 gallon keys plus 3, 5 gallon kegs.

Latest posts

Back