Keeping yeast in tupperware!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSteele

Reaction score
Hey guys...I bottled a brew today and decided to try to keep the yeast. I'm very fortunate to have inherited a conical fermenter so collecting the settled yeast is very easy. I didn't really think about saving it until during bottling, so for now I'm keeping the yeast in some tupperware! It seems ghetto and if I planned ahead, I would have bought some mason jars. Can I expect the tupperware in the fridge to be sufficient for a short amount of time? Or will the yeast get contaminated? Thanks!

:ban:

Well, I have done this in the in those cheap tuppaware like containers from IKEA before. It worked, but it was only for two weeks. Not sure if it will be a great idea or not. Best of luck though!

I made the best barley wine I have ever made with that yeast too!

I would be concerned about any scratches that tupperware harbors. They are a great place for bacteria and other baddies to hang out and can be near impossible to sanitze. Get yourself some mason jars now, go, right now, there is no time to waste!:D

Latest posts

Back