Keeping my IPA fresh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Ok, so i've made a step up to 10 gallon batches. Or at least have brewed a few of them, and I love the ability to get 2x the beer for less than 2x the work.

My question is if there is any way to keep beers like IPA' fresh in that second keg while i'm waiting to put it on tap? I am amazed at how much my IPA's change in the couple weeks they are on tap, i kind of worry what would happen to that second keg while waiting to be put on tap in my serving kegerator. Is it just smarter to only brew 5 gallons of beers that are supposed to be drank fresh like IPA's and hefe's and stuff?

I'd aim for a two month limit from brew day for a really fresh IPA. You can always do another dry hop in the second keg for an extra kick but there is a significant fall off after week 5-6 and by two months, its a shadow of its former self. It might be good, but nothing like the fresh keg

If I'm brewing 10 gallons I tend to brew a recipe with a middle of the road hop nose into the keg, and then add a bunch of keg hops right before tapping it. It seems to be the best middle road between brewing 5 gal. vs. 10 gal. of an IPA at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Start looking at hop stats, some websites will have an average of hop storability, start making a list and only use those hops for you IPA's, this is what I do.

hop.png

Clarke, those are for Alpha acids when adjusting for bitterness. As with all consumables, fresher is always better, but I wouldn't just use what you're doing as the only factor.

The good old sniff test is probably one of the best methods.

Latest posts

Back