Keeping fruits in suspension with a Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've made a melomel with raspberries, I put about 6.5 pounds in 4 gallons of mead.
When the mead was done fermenting to my liking it was around 1.008, I crashed it to near 34f to get the yeast to drop then dropped in the raspberries for about 5 days.

The sample was tasting awsome, but then when I started transferring to another keg I noticed only the beginnig being a thick raspberry colour but all the rest after was very clear and light.
I got about 2 glasses that where allright but from there it went downhill very fast.

Seems to me that most of the raspberrie puree dropped to the bottom and didnt mix with the melomel at all.
Are there any tricks to keep the fruit puree in suspension?
I'm thinkint to try to add my fruit near end of fermentaion for the next time and hopefully the fermentation will move it enough around to get a better mix.

Cheers!

if you’re interested in clarity at all, you don’t really want purée in suspension. for most the general idea is to let the alcohol extract all the flavor it can, and then rack off the remnants of the fruit for bottling.

When you added the puree were you still cold crashing or cooling your mead or did it come back up to room temperature?

When you added the puree were you still cold crashing or cooling your mead or did it come back up to room temperature?
kept it cold the entire time to avoid refermentation and maintain max fruit aroma flavor

if you’re interested in clarity at all, you don’t really want purée in suspension. for most the general idea is to let the alcohol extract all the flavor it can, and then rack off the remnants of the fruit for bottling.
Not necessarily chasing clarity, just want as much fruit flavor retained as possible

Not experienced in puree's but if it's the cold for a week perhaps it sank to the bottom and didn't extract very much at all. Higher density puree didn't blend with the mead and might've separated. Just a thought, I'll wait for someone with experience chime in. I do half my fruit in primary and half in secondary after yeast fall out and it's stabilized for a while.

Back