Kbs advance ticket sales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvious23

Reaction score
Just got my reserved ticket for some kbs now I don't have to try and hunt it down at the local bottle shops. So pumped. My friend got his also so we are going down there after work it shall be a great time.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout from Founders (I always want to say bourbon stout when I see those letters). It's one of the beers that gets a yearly hoopla along with Nugget Nectar, Hop Slam, and a few others. I wasn't aware that they were selling tickets to get the beer in MI. Hopefully you get to hear a band or get some free food out of it.

In my area the thirst for KBS is real. 2 years ago i won a raffle from a store to buy a bottle. It enabled me to buy ONE 12oz bottle for EIGHT DOLLARS. I will never care about getting ANY beer that much ever again. If I get some KBS this year that's great. If not oh well. I feel this way about all beers with artificial limited releases and silly hoopla. Not for me.
The annoying part is that some "special" people (friends of store owners, distributors, etc) get to bypass the rest of us morons who wait and pay through the nose.

Opt out everyone!!!!!

I've paid more per ounce for beer but I didn't wait in line. I didn't "win" a raffle. I bought it at the store, right off the shelf.

This just reflects two things: (one) marketing is powerful and effective and (two) life is all who you know!

Five dollars reserves the right to purchase 3 four packs at the brewery. I figured with the mark up at the bottle shops and limited distribution, this was a more cost effective and less trouble than driving around to find it.

I got to a local store in advance of their sales yesterday. The ticket cost nothing and only got you into a drawing to see who would get a 4-pack to purchase. They had 9 cases, or enough for 54 people.

At drawing time they didn't have enough people to require the drawing. I'm happy that I bought some. It's been 3 years since I managed to buy some.

Part of the problem is the popularity. It's a good beer, probably my favorite bourbon stout. They can't simply make more because it's aged in barrels in some mines under Grand Rapids, and there is space concerns (from what I hear.) It's expensive also because it uses plenty of ingredients.

But yeah, if I didn't get any I wasn't going to cry. I stood in the store for maybe 20 minutes chatting with a club friend, so time well spent. I plan to use this 4-pack to sample alongside my own homebrew version to compare with, and I will probably share a bottle or two with some friends at some point.

FWIW I can buy New Holland Dragon's Milk, a similar barrel aged stout, pretty much anytime I want, and for less. It's not exactly the same beer, but it's a very good bourbon stout as well.

The 4-pack of KBS cost $24, Dragon's Milk cost just over $4 a bottle in singles.

Our local places here have a brewery imposed release date of 4/1 from what I have heard. Last year they had one bottle limits, I'm hoping to hit a few stores and get at least a couple bottles!

I can't think of a single Founders beer I'd go out of my way to get. I'm not a fan of their Breakfast Stout, never had KBS.

I mean, they're nothing to sneeze at, far better than average "craft brews." But I don't really "get it."

It all started way back when craft beer was still in it's young days. KBS was a bit unique in the area. It gained a following and right from the start was well liked and in short supply.

The expansion of the brewery distribution only makes it harder to get and increases the following.

They make plenty of beers I like: Centennial IPA, All Day IPA, Dirty Bastard, Backwoods Bastard, and several more.

Nothing too out there, but all done well. As I say, New Holland has a nice Bourbon Stout, and there are many others of that style available in lots of places now. It's kind of like Dark Lord Day, or trying to get Pliny if you're not from the area.

Having had Dark Lord and KBS side by side along with a few other RIS type beers, I still think KBS is my favorite.

Back