Kal kettle problem with element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building an electric brewing system. I set up a box and got the weldless stuff but when I go to screw the nut on the element there aren't enough threads on the element to screw it in.

I believe this is a Camco element similar to the ones that kal recommends on his site.

Does the keg need to be flattened for this thing to fit?

Previously I had the nut soldered to the side and a different assembly set up, but the crappy solder job broke free so I decided to go weldless. I may just flatten the side of the keg and have someone at work WELD that nut in place if I can't get this to assemble right.

If you are doing a weldless setup like kal has with the washers and silicon gaskets etc you need to remove the rubber gasket on the element. Not sure how you are doing it so its hard to say.

Rubber washer has been removed. I tried basically Kal's setup, but through the back of a waterproof box I got from work. It *MIGHT* be SLIGHTLY thicker than the box cover Kal uses.

Otherwise it's the same setup with the washer with the O-ring inside between the keg and the box.

It feels like it can ALMOST grab threads, but no...

Few shots of my current HLT:

thumb2_img_20150806_213120_160-65964.jpg

thumb2_img_20150806_213154_549-65963.jpg

That's a decent idea! I could probably get someone at work to SS weld that element to a box easy. Heck I could probably manage to not cock it up myself!

Post pics of the setup now

Maybe when I get back to it. I'm working on a Band Booster project to build wagons for frontline equipment for the HS band. I'm hoping to be ready for paint later today and building soon after that when I can get the Director to help assemble the pieces.

If I get time I'll probably just jump to putting it together.

One other problem is I *think* the elements are not ULWD, so I may have to replace before I build, at least for the BK. HLT doesn't matter.

Mr Cidal of Homers... do you have a picture of yours? might help us a bit.

Sorry, was very busy this weekend. 7 hours at work on Saturday due to phone guy wanting to work on Saturday and it being a PITA. Then Baseball game in the evening (Go Whitecaps!)

Sunday got up a bit lazy due to baseball game overeating and overdrinking. Worked on Band trailers until time to help a friend unload his moving van. Moved back to MI and of course you don't refuse something like that! Did some more band wagon stuff before crawling back into the house to watch Airplane! II with the kid.

I'll hopefully have time tonight to try something, but I do have to keep working on the trailers and I have an IPA that REALLY needs to get cold crashed and gelatined so I can keg soon. Competition is less than 2 weeks away.

There should be enough threads if you're using the wavy elements that are on Kal's site and the box. Is it possible that the punch for the element is not large enough to let the entire element with threads through?

There should be enough threads if you're using the wavy elements that are on Kal's site and the box. Is it possible that the punch for the element is not large enough to let the entire element with threads through?

To be honest, I did not flatten the side of the keg. Not sure if that's a requirement.

And I am using a metal box, not a plate cover.

Also, I haven't actually tried the boil kettle and my original items. I am trying to get the HLT fitted. I could check both and see if there is a difference.

My element is not the exactly same wavy element Kal uses, but I believe it IS one of them Camco Stainless Elements, so I'd expect the threads to protrude the same amount.

To be honest, I did not flatten the side of the keg. Not sure if that's a requirement.

And I am using a metal box, not a plate cover.

Also, I haven't actually tried the boil kettle and my original items. I am trying to get the HLT fitted. I could check both and see if there is a difference.

My element is not the exactly same wavy element Kal uses, but I believe it IS one of them Camco Stainless Elements, so I'd expect the threads to protrude the same amount.

Okay. Well, I do have the weldless filings, but mine are 2" TC to 1" NPT. The NPT end is the element. I did have to flatten the kettle wall a bit to get a seal on my kettle. On the bayou classic kettle I have, I have it welded instead for another reason.

I too am using boxes. My elements are just like Kals but my boxes are rectangular versus his being square, if I recall. So I do think you have to flatten the kettle wall a bit, but I'm also curious about the lack of threads. You should have enough showing. The seal would be affected without flattening, but I still think you should see threads. I could be wrong, but take a pic when you have time and we'll get it figured out. If there is one thing I've gotten used to, it is kettle issues and elements. ;)

Latest posts

Back