K-97 Final Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
I whipped up a batch of applewine/cider/whatever using Ed Wort's recipe as a basis to start from. OG was 1.070 pitched rehydrated K-97 german ale yeast (all other yeast I had was already slated for other projects), fermentation was odd but seems to have gone well. I checked the gravity night before last and I was down to 1.009 (~87% attenuation). I'm not upset with the batch, flavor is good. I am curious about where to go from here. The questions are:

-How alcohol tolerant is K-97? Have I maxed out my yeast?

-I plan to cold crash to drop yeast but if I do that and then bottle with priming sugar do I risk bottle bombs? Apple Juice should ferment down to almost nothing afaik.

-Should I add additional yeast (ie wine yeast) to finish then prime and bottle?

If this was S-05 I wouldn't be concerned, its a beast and I've used it many times. I have practically no experience with K-97 and so I am unsure how to proceed. I like the slight residual sweetness and apple flavor I have now. I do want to serve this carbonated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back