Just watched a doumentary on Woodstock '69... half a million kids - no violence....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Never before - never since.... What was so special then with the war in Viet Nam, extreme politics, similar to now... Why so peaceful then and probably impossible today? BTW I was 15 then, just a little young to attend....

While Woodstock was peaceful, there was plenty of violence in the late 60's into the early 70's. The Weather Underground terrorist group run by Obama mentor Bill Ayers, the Sybionese Liberation Army terrorist group, the Black Panthers, the Manson family, The Kent State riots, the Hard Hat riots, murder at the Rolling Stones Altamont concert, hippies getting beat up by the intolerant, etc. Things were not as peaceful as some people would like to believe. The reason why it may have seemed that way is because back then we didn't have readily available, 24/7 partisan news media who's main agenda seems to be to stir people up and push division in the country.

While Woodstock was peaceful, there was plenty of violence in the late 60's into the early 70's. The Weather Underground terrorist group run by Obama mentor Bill Ayers, the Sybionese Liberation Army terrorist group, the Black Panthers, the Manson family, The Kent State riots, the Hard Hat riots, murder at the Rolling Stones Altamont concert, hippies getting beat up by the intolerant, etc. Things were not as peaceful as some people would like to believe. The reason why it may have seemed that way is because back then we didn't have readily available, 24/7 partisan news media who's main agenda seems to be to stir people up and push division in the country.

This is an example of what is puzzling. There was much turmoil all through that period yet half a million kids spent 3+ days in crowded and wet conditions and there was no violence there. Other festivals such as the Altamonte concert were not so peaceful.

I sincerely doubt that it could be done again. At least anytime soon. Especially right now.... They tried Woodstock again and it had troubles.

This is an example of what is puzzling. There was much turmoil all through that period yet half a million kids spent 3+ days in crowded and wet conditions and there was no violence there. Other festivals such as the Altamonte concert were not so peaceful.

I sincerely doubt that it could be done again. At least anytime soon. Especially right now.... They tried Woodstock again and it had troubles.

We'll probably never know. Since the locale was changed maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe everyone there sensed something remarkable was happening--look at the list of performers. Maybe everyone was so into the music that violence wasn't on anyone's radar. Maybe it was a break from the troubles of the day.

And maybe it was the prescription and non-prescription "medications" under whose influence many reposed.

My personal guess is that it was a result of an interesting confluence of factors never to be again repeated. But it's just a guess. :)

I am a product of hippies, I remember the long hair, music and the campfire sing alongs, combyah and all. Other than the communes and 1, 3 day concert there was nothing peaceful about the times. Riots in Watts in `65, Fights in the long gas lines in `73 and `74, dozens of wars going on at any one time. National guardsmen / state patrol shooting protesters in Orangeburg, Kent and Jackson State and countless other events.
I saw that same documentary, just sat down to see what it was about and ended up watching the whole thing. If I remember correctly it is suppose to be on again. Twice as many people at that concert and fewer problems in 3 days as there are in my town on a daily basis.

Had to be done, from all accounts Hoffman was out of order and Townshend literally had no clue who he was..

Anyway...in the spirit of the 70s and the Woodstock thing, in my 18th year I went to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_Ridge_Rock_Festival

What passed as the "main drag" near the base of the ski area was literally lined shoulder to shoulder with hallucinogen dealers sporting baggies of pills, caps and blotters. In the three days I was encamped there I watched an oak tree sprout out of the ground and achieve magnificent height in the space of five minutes and saw bees leaving air trails hundreds of feet in length, amongst other hallucinations.

Ended up in some chick's apartment in Cambridge for a few days. Had to ask her how the heck I got there...

Cheers! (Fun times! :D)

Had to be done, from all accounts Hoffman was out of order and Townshend literally had no clue who he was..

Anyway...in the spirit of the 70s and the Woodstock thing, in my 18th year I went to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_Ridge_Rock_Festival

What passed as the "main drag" near the base of the ski area was literally lined shoulder to shoulder with hallucinogen dealers sporting baggies of pills, caps and blotters. In the three days I was encamped there I watched an oak tree sprout out of the ground and achieve magnificent height in the space of five minutes and saw bees leaving air trails hundreds of feet in length, amongst other hallucinations.

Ended up in some chick's apartment in Cambridge for a few days. Had to ask her how the heck I got there...

Cheers! (Fun times! :D)

thank god, i just drink beer...

Yeah, that was pretty much it for me and crazy stuff. When you think you're gripping arm rests to hang on for dear life when there's not a seat within miles that might not be a path worth following for long :eek:

I have to say I don't regret whatever the heck happened - lifetime experience and all that (and frankly I've done stuff like jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, ski lifts, etc, which were hella riskier) but I've been strictly herbal for the last fifty years ;)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back