Just saw these caps....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I just found these bottle caps and I have been inspired to create an all American beer to brew sometime to have ready for the fourth of July. I know im a ways away but figured id start brainstorming now. If you guys could recommend American styles, hops , malts and additional ingredients that would be great. This way I can design a truly American beer. Whatever is american to you that can go in a beer let me know. Thanks!

Screenshot_2013-10-19-14-29-30-1.png

Well you could brew the presidents homebrew recipe. Doesnt get much more american than the white houses official recipe.

But if you want to differ a bit, American 2 row, heavy on the C hops, nice IPA is pretty american.

add 350 million copies of the Declaration of Independence encoded onto DNA and brew it on Independence Day while riding a float in a 4th of July parade

already been done

otherwise, Channel66 has got the recipe, ferment with American yeast and good luck with it

love those caps. the BigHair got me 2 gross of them and I've almost used them all

Haha Brew Dogs, great show. If only. Im thinking about staying away from a real strong IPA and going in the direction of an amber ale or a mellower pale ale. Just considering the other people that will be drinking this and im not sure if they are fans of ipa.

I picked up some of these at my LHBS last spring and used em for a hefeweizen I served up for a little gathering at my house on the fourth of July. Nothing American about the ingredients in that hefe, but in the end, what's more American than stealing the best aspects of other cultures and claiming them as our own?!

I made a 4th of July beer a couple years ago - it was a lawnmower beer made with Victory malt and Liberty hops.

The base grain was Maris Otter because there's something very appropriate for the occasion about starting with something from Great Britain and turning it into something American.

So I just found these bottle caps and I have been inspired to create an all American beer to brew sometime to have ready for the fourth of July. I know im a ways away but figured id start brainstorming now. If you guys could recommend American styles, hops , malts and additional ingredients that would be great. This way I can design a truly American beer. Whatever is american to you that can go in a beer let me know. Thanks!

Currently experimenting with George Washington's Small Beer recipe. It's in the Specialty section of Recipes. My first attempt turned out very drinkable, and dry but just slightly sweet.

GW penned it in 1757 while a Colonel in Virginia's militia.

It consists of:
Wheat bran (not malt)
Molasses (used Lyle's Golden Syrup, closest to "first molasses")
Hops to your taste (I used Liberty hops)

There is no mention of carbonating, however I've found that bottling it "that day Week" as Mr Washington says would mean that I'd bottle while it's still fermenting. In other words, it would lightly carbonate (as best I can tell).

My July 4th beer will be a representation of this recipe. And capped most likely with American flag caps that you listed in the OP :) Those look sweet.

I'd say something big and bold, like a double IPA. 'MERICA!

*Edit, just read the part about other people drinking it. In that case maybe a lower hopped APA?

Back