Just mashing 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
Has anybody ever brewed a beer using just 2-row? or just Pilsner?
i.e 10lbs of 2-row, with no other malts/grains.

What did it taste like?

Yes, SMASH = Single Malt and Single Hop.

Ive made good beer with 2 row grain, DME, LME, but never used pilsner yet. If your just starting do one pick one hop do late additions on the hops and you see what that hop not only smells like and taste you have a base malt that you know what that taste like. HIt about 25 ibus and enjoy. I have made several Smash recipes using Mt. Hood, Summit, Cascade, and Falconers 7 C's. Enjoyed each one.

Me and some folks split it up and mades SMASHes with 2-row; then hopped with sterling, simcoe, hallertau, magnum, cascade, apollo and willamette.

we went 11 lbs, 1 @60, 1 @30, 1 @10. Was an awesome tasting.

We then went 11 pils, 11 2-row, 11 6-row, 11 vienna and fresh hopped 5@60, 4@10 with my 2012 saaz. these were different. :drunk:

edit: simcoe, not smile

Did a cascade smash... Used Maris otter and cascade hops. Think it turned out great, no good reviews from my buddies so I drank it all myself. Ha.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I did a smash w 10# 2-row and another w Marris Otter. Interesting in how most of the beer snob friends preferred the MO. I used 4 oz AHS magic hop dust in each batch. I actually prefer the 2-row. Nice and clear beer tastes great! Also use wlp90 for both batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done a SMASH with 2-row and also M.O.
used dry Notty yeast for both.
used 1-oz Fuggles hops for both.

IMHO the MO was the better of the 2
the 2-row was boring and reminded me of coors.
but with a different more aggresive hopping i could
see it making a livable IPA
An array of citrisy hops in large quantity every 10-15 minutes of the boil and you might have something you think is outstanding,

Ok so did the starter followed directions on amount of dme and water. Boiled it for 11 min and during boil lost 500ml ended with 1 liter & gravity reading was through the roof. 1.059. Was aiming for 1.032no where close. So I thought about it and added top off water. Added 600ml and got my gravity to 1.043.figured this was close enough and pitched. Would assume correctly if I left it with high gravity would stress the yeast and create off flavors?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

1.059 isnt even considered what they call a "big beer"
you can ferment it just fine without stressing out the yeasts.
especially if they are kept cool like around 60-f

Paps and Mike thanks for the input. Sorry that I hijacked this thread it was intended for another one I started. I can now say that I learned something new today!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back