Just got done brewing my first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally brewed my first beer today. It was an all grain American Amber. Things went smoothly I started at 1 pm today and was all finished by 6:30. Brought my beer down from boiling to 70º in 8 minutes. Got an rough efficiency of 82%
I have one question though. I took my hydrometer reading at 65ºF and it came out to 1.053. According to the temperature correction chart in Palmers How to Brew my actual gravity would be 1.058 correct? That is if i read it and understood it correctly. Well :mug: and Happy brewing

Wow, 82% on your first beer ever. I have to congratulate you. There are many who might get mad about that type of efficiency. :mug:

Thank you. With that hydrometer correction calculator my actual gravity was 1.054 making my efficiency only 78%. My target gravity was 1.052. Thank you for the link. I checked on my beer this morning and it seems to be fermenting away. Now the hard part...waiting, then more waiting. I'm excited and can't wait to start my second one.

Back