Just finished making a Golden Promise SMaSH IPA...ruddy color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Been meaning to experiment with this malt in an IPA for awhile now. It's "sort of" a SMaSH. Did 3 Qts of water and 1.25 lbs of Golden Promise. the bittering hop was warrior for 50 minutes and the flavor hop was 007 Golden Hop for 15 (leaf). I added one ounce of lactose. No chemicals.

Net yield after adding 3 Qts of sparge water and boiling is about 1 gallon (4 qts)

Just got her cooled down to around 80 and pitched into the fermenter. It's got majorly darker than usual color to it...around..mmm 12-14 SRM? For only one simple base malt that seems a little dark to me. Gonna take a gravity reading in a few minutes.

Have not pitched the yeast yet. Waiting for another 15 degree drop.

Anyone have issues with GP imparting a darker than usual color? It's damn near the color of a scotch ale to be honest.

Simpsons lists their Golden Promise as L° 2.2-3 (SRM 2.0-3.3). Used alone it would be unlikely to end up in the lower teens SRM unless there was a process effect.

This is an neipa style that used 90% Simpsons GP and some flaked oats. It's definitely closer to a 4 than a 14...

galaxy_neipa.jpg

Cheers!

After taking a gravity measurement in my hydrometer tube it looks closer to your beer there. For some reason it's just muddy brown when it's all together as a whole. Thanks!

Ah, well, that's a thing. I just kegged a brew that was almost entirely Weyermann Premium Pilsner (1.2-1.8 L) and looks like it in the glass but you'd be scratching your head looking through the carboys...

Cheers!

GP is very light in colour and a smash will get you a colour closer to 4-4.5 SRM ( morrey scale ).

Liquid/beer looks darker in larger containers, due to the larger volume, which adds opacity to the liquid, thus making it look much more darker then it really is. Pour into a glass and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours. Trub will settle at the bottom of the glass and leaving you with a liquid much closer to what the final beer will look like. ( provided it doesn't oxidize and change colour )

Cheers!

Back