Just finished first beer, question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
I just finished first batch of a extract IIPA, Plinian legacy. (1 gallon extract kit) Its been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks and only put one in the fridge this morning and drank it tonight.

The question I have is that the alcohol flavor was pretty strong and a little overpowering. I was wondering if I let it age more if the alcohol taste would mellow out a little bit more? And hopefully become a little more hop forward then alcohol.

I know that DIPA have a higher alcohol content and ive drank quite a few so I kind of know what to expect. It just seemed pretty alcohol forward with this first batch. Wondering if it just needs to age longer or if there could be an error in the brew process.

Yes, any high alcohol, high gravity beer needs age. Dipas are included, unlike some hoppy beers. Just let it ride, brotato. Try another two weeks and test one

I'm no expert...
The first question that comes to mind is, what is the alcohol content?
Did the kit give a projected OG and FG? If so how does it compare to the measured?
I'm not an DIPA kinda guy so I won't be much there, but I'm thinking that aging does not typically mellow a 'boozie' beer.
But the good news is; a drinkable on your first go is a WIN!

Cheers!

I just finished first batch of a extract IIPA, Plinian legacy. (1 gallon extract kit) Its been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks and only put one in the fridge this morning and drank it tonight.

The question I have is that the alcohol flavor was pretty strong and a little overpowering. I was wondering if I let it age more if the alcohol taste would mellow out a little bit more? And hopefully become a little more hop forward then alcohol.

I know that DIPA have a higher alcohol content and ive drank quite a few so I kind of know what to expect. It just seemed pretty alcohol forward with this first batch. Wondering if it just needs to age longer or if there could be an error in the brew process.

It'll taste better in a couple more weeks. The pliny beer is a pretty big beer. I brewed a strong stout a couple of years ago. Two weeks after bottling, it had a hot alcohol bite. I set two back and forgot about them a year later. It was one of the smoothest beers I made.

You don't have to wait that long, but I'm betting another week or three, that beer will taste a lot better and will have mellowed out.

I'm no expert...
The first question that comes to mind is, what is the alcohol content?
Did the kit give a projected OG and FG? If so how does it compare to the measured?
I'm not an DIPA kinda guy so I won't be much there, but I'm thinking that aging does not typically mellow a 'boozie' beer.
But the good news is; a drinkable on your first go is a WIN!

Cheers!

unfortunately I did not come with a OG or a FG. But looking online it looks like its suppose to be 7-8% abv

I agree with the others, time will be your friend here.
The trouble will be with a 1 gal batch you can't just try one every week until you really like them cause they'll be gone. Be Patient.
If your not currently using a hydrometer, I would suggest you move in that direction. Those SG reading can be really helpful when troubleshooting problems.
Cheers

I have a hydrometer now and will be using it from now on along with 3 gallon batches from here on

Do you know what your fermentation temperature was? My first thought is you probably fermented a bit too warm which causes fusel alcohols (think "hot" solventy rubbing alcohol) to be produced. You want to ferment around 65 degrees (wort temp, not room temp, fermenting beer can be 5-10 degrees hotter than ambient), and if you fermented at 70-75 degrees you will produce "hot" alcohol flavors that may mellow a bit with time, but not much... And the thing with Pliny is you want to drink it FRESH!

Age will definitely help. The down-side is that hop flavors fade as well. To combat this I've dropped a single Cascade cone in the glass before drinking it. It hops it up and looks cool as hell too.

Do you know what your fermentation temperature was? My first thought is you probably fermented a bit too warm which causes fusel alcohols (think "hot" solventy rubbing alcohol) to be produced. You want to ferment around 65 degrees (wort temp, not room temp, fermenting beer can be 5-10 degrees hotter than ambient), and if you fermented at 70-75 degrees you will produce "hot" alcohol flavors that may mellow a bit with time, but not much... And the thing with Pliny is you want to drink it FRESH!

I built a son of fermentation unit and kept the temp at 65 the whole time fermenting and then room temp once bottled.

I built a son of fermentation unit and kept the temp at 65 the whole time fermenting and then room temp once bottled.

Where was the temp measured from? As mentioned above, beer temp can be 5-10* hotter than ambient temp. That could have you in the 70-75* range which is pretty warm and could produce the alcohol taste you have.
It's great you have the ferm chamber, just have to dial it in now.

Latest posts

Back