Just etched my aluminum pot with a pencil grinder. Steps after?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I should have asked before doing but I just etched my aluminum pot with a pencil grinder and I am wondering I should do anything else to prevent corrosion or bad flavors in beer. I tried searching but couldn't really find anything.

It's not my best hand work lol. But the measuring stick was getting to be a pain.

Thanks
20190107_115151.jpeg

For the tiny little area that you exposed with your pencil grinder, I would rdwhahb....aluminum passivates very rapidly, honestly think you are a ok [emoji108]

Aluminum passivates almost instantly to some degree w exposure to oxygen I believe.

For the tiny little area that you exposed with your pencil grinder, I would rdwhahb....aluminum passivates very rapidly, honestly think you are a ok [emoji108]

Aluminum passivates almost instantly to some degree w exposure to oxygen I believe.
I read that also that it does so when exposed to oxygen. I went ahead and boiled a gallons worth of water with the lid on it. Got another 7 minutes or so to go. I also took a little vinegar and wiped the etchings I made before boiling. It might be over kill (or even the wrong thing to do) but I'd sure hate to ruin my next batch of beer a couple weeks from now (or my next batch of crawfish) if it was something as easy as boiling water.

I wouldn't mind a home brew now. I put on about 5 lbs this holiday season. Trying to watch my intake [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back