Just curious re: Thin krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabloj13

Reaction score
Not worried or anything, just curious what you guys think of this. Made an AG batch of the smooth oatmeal stout. Aerated by shaking really well for 5 minutes and pitched the yeast from this 1.4L starter of washed 1056.
IMAG0190.jpg

Pitched it at ~66. Had airlock activity (I know revvy) at 5 hours and bubbles running up the side and some churning by 12 hours. The krausen is really thin after 48 hours (maybe 1/4 inch). Reading over some of the threads one might expect this recipe to have a fairly large krausen (1.060 OG, oatmeal in the mash, lots of protein, 1056 normally goes crazy, etc.) Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

1056 is weird. I've had some fermentations where it goes out of control and others where it looks like a lager fermentation but with more airlock activity.

1056 is weird. I've had some fermentations where it goes out of control and others where it looks like a longer fermentation but with more airlock activity.

Interesting. I've just finished harvesting the Bell's yeast. I wonder if it will do the same thing. It looks like it is chugging along nicely. One thing that's good about it is that the internal temp isn't going crazy high, so it's a bit easier to control.

if you pulled it from bell's 2 hearted it should be pretty similar. they seem to use a real dry clean fermenting yeast like 1056 or us-05

if you pulled it from bell's 2 hearted it should be pretty similar. they seem to use a real dry clean fermenting yeast like 1056 or us-05

Yeah, I think it's a mutated 1056, at least as far as I have read.

Latest posts

Back