Just bought two kegs - probably screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
One of them is a Micro Star 5 gallon keg. The other one is a pony keg that is a European Sanke. Paid $30 for both. After comparing them to the corny kegs, it looks like I have two big paperweights. I was thinking about making a keggle out of the pony keg, but I'm not even sure about that now. At least they are in good shape!
2069651170074286987S425x425Q85.jpg

2657182410074286987S425x425Q85.jpg

2757891550074286987S425x425Q85.jpg

Might make for fine fermenters.

Problem is, I don't know if I even own them. The 5 gallon one says property of Micro Star. It has some beer and pressure in it, but I don't know a thing about them. The other one has at least a gallon or two of probably really nasty former beer in it, and same thing there. At least I know I can push on the ball of the thinner one and release the pressure. No clue on the fat one.
At this point, I'd probably be willing to take them to a distributor and see if I could get a deposit back on them. It might be a cheap lesson.

By no means legal advice but if you bought them they are yours. If someone rented the keg then didn't return it it is them that will lose their deposit and/or get charged for the keg. Pretty much every keg you buy used it going to say it is property of someone else as that is who originally used them. My cornies had property of Dr Pepper stickers on them and are actually stamped with the original distributors info (Pepsi Co, blah blah bottler, whatever distributor, etc).

By no means legal advice but if you bought them they are yours. If someone rented the keg then didn't return it it is them that will lose their deposit and/or get charged for the keg. Pretty much every keg you buy used it going to say it is property of someone else as that is who originally used them. My cornies had property of Dr Pepper stickers on them and are actually stamped with the original distributors info (Pepsi Co, blah blah bottler, whatever distributor, etc).

I accept your legal disclaimer. When I saw a thread about a Keg Heaven, I realized there is a big physical difference between the corny kegs there, and this one. Mainly, there is some kind of bail locking cover over where it looks like the tap would go.

Looks like a sankey... if so pretty sure there are adapters out there so you could still use it. I'm no keg expert though.

If it was me I'd cut those things down and use them for brewing.

They are kind of small for brewing IMO, but no reason not to use them for kegging! Lots of people use sankes instead of corneys. I have a couple myself. The biggest pain is the snap ring, but no reason not to use them. I would actually prefer to move away from corneys and use all sankes, but they are more expensive.

Thank about it this way.. you can fill one of those, and use it in your friends kegerators that they dispense bud light from. Or a hand pump at a party (just drink it all that night!).

Ok, this has been discussed ad nauseum here, but just because someone paid a deposit that doesn't mean they own it. AND since Micro Star is a keg leasing company, and that keg looks like it is in great shape......you probably have a stolen keg.

I got the D sankey keg open and dumped about a gallon or two of dark beer out and cleaned it. It looks like it is in great shape.
Not sure if I am going to keep it. I'd take it back to a distributor, but they'd not give me a penny for it without a receipt, and someone kept somebody's deposit.
What a screwed up system.
I'm thinking about going with the Tap A Draft system until I can buy some NEW cornys.

Back