Just bought a monster mill 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMagee

Reaction score
I'm excited. I had a small bonus from work and used it to pick up a monster mill 2.0 w/ base and hopper. Now I just need to find a cheap 1/2 drill to drive it.

Is the default gap good for batch sparging? Any other tips for milling your own grain for the first time?

No idea what the 'default' (or factory) gap is, but I have mine in the .038-.039" range (it's a TIGHT .039"). With the 2" diameter rollers you'll be crushing grain without issue.

I got the same as you, except I also got the hopper extension right from the start. Gives it a 39# capacity. :D

I already had my cordless drill before I picked up a grain mill. I've been using my 18v DeWalt cordless hammer drill to run my Monster. Does a great job of it, and I'm not restrained by power cords. :D

Of course, I plan on switching to a motor once I've moved, and can set up properly. So, by end of September, I'll be in a new place, and shortly after I'll be setting up my mill with a motor (probably by end of the year). :D :rockin: :ban: Only question now is where will I be... :D

Having the mill on motor and pullys is so nice. A motor can be found for free and the pullys are sold by grainger. I will tell you milling can be hard on drills. The drill needs to be able not to turn to fast, and it can be hard to go slow. AKA, the drill can bind then take off.

I want to motorize it at some point, which is one of the reasons why I went with the 2.0 (1/2" standard). But for now I'll just be happy to be able to do one more thing for myself.

Latest posts

Back