Just Bottled my first batch of IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwalchicago

Reaction score
Got a small home beer kit, made 9 12oz bottles and now I have 2 weeks before I can drink them.. My question is can I put them in the fridge? Or should I leave it in a dark cold spot like I did when it would ferment?

Also, siphoning for the first time really kicked my ass lol.

dark spot the yeast will go to sleep if you put the bottles in the fidge

If you have a room temp spot it's even better.

Good luck and wait the two weeks before you crack that first one. It'll be worth it.

Did you taste it when you bottled?

Dark and about 70 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 weeks is always good for carbonation

If you have a room temp spot it's even better.

Good luck and wait the two weeks before you crack that first one. It'll be worth it.

Did you taste it when you bottled?

I did slightly it was definetly an ipa but it was missing something still(obviously carbonation).

It was my first batch and i got stuck using a few makeshift tools but i did sanitize everything so im hoping for a good result. I've already bought all the proper tools for round 2

Alright, been about 2 weeks since I bottled the batch. They've been in a dark cool spot the whole time. Can I put these in the fridge by now? Want to try it soon.

I'd crack one open and try it before putting in in the fridge. You want to make sure carbonation levels are decent. If you left them in a warm environment (75-80F) they are probably ready for the fridge but if your temps are 65-75F you might need another week or two. If your temps are below 65F you will need to warm them up for another couple of weeks.

Be aware that if you follow the above idea that carbonation levels will be different based on serving temp. I would fridge it for a night then crack ....

Be aware that if you follow the above idea that carbonation levels will be different based on serving temp. I would fridge it for a night then crack ....

Yeah, if you don't mind waiting an extra night this will give you a more accurate impression of your beer.

Just to clarify, yeast *really* like to be at 75-80F.

When you're fermenting your wort you don't want to be that high because at those temperatures, and with all that sugar, they will produce complex compounds that will add nasty flavors to your beer (esters, fusel alcohols, etc).

When you're carbing your beer the yeast only have the small amount of simple sugar you added at bottling to work on, and you won't get noticeable products beyond the CO2 (so carbing won't noticeably change your final gravity). Since the yeast are already in a somewhat hostile, alcohol-rich, environment, it's good to give them all the help you can by keeping them at their preferred temperature.

Just had my first bottle opened. Was carbonated perfectly so I'm glad for that. The bottles still have particles floating around I'm not quite sure if it's yeast or what. Is that a bad thing?

Just had my first bottle opened. Was carbonated perfectly so I'm glad for that. The bottles still have particles floating around I'm not quite sure if it's yeast or what. Is that a bad thing?

Not a bad thing, just a product of live beer (yeast) and your bottling expertise (trub).

Refrigerate and it'll all fall out of suspension. Then pour carefully and leave the last little bit with the yeast/trub behind (though rinse it out immediately if you're planning to re-use the bottles).

Not a bad thing, just a product of live beer (yeast) and your bottling expertise (trub).

Refrigerate and it'll all fall out of suspension. Then pour carefully and leave the last little bit with the yeast/trub behind (though rinse it out immediately if you're planning to re-use the bottles).

Awesome thank you.

Latest posts

Back