Just another porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spintab

Reaction score
I'm yet to get feedback on recipes here curious what people think. Going for a semi robust porter. Just something fairly thick yet easy drinking. The brown malt I roasted myself a while back. This is figured at 6gal post boil. Thanks

*Edited to match brewed recipe*

Original Gravity (OG): 1.061
Final Gravity (FG): 1.023 @6days
Colour (SRM): 34.8
Bitterness (IBU): 30.1 (Average)

American 2-Row (pretty sure it was Briess) - 6#
Maris Otter Malt - 4#
Brown Malt (Home Toasted 2-Row) - 1#
Chocolate - 1#
Munich I - 1#
Flaked Barley - 1/2#
Carafa III - 1/2#
Black Patent - 1/4#

Chocolate, Carafa, Black Patent added to top of mash during vorlauf

1.5 oz UK Goldings (6.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Centennial(7ish% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 156°F(actual was low more like 150 oops) for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 65-6°F with WLP005 - 2 vials no starter pitched @65°F

I'm yet to get feedback on recipes here curious what people think.

You only have 148 posts. :)

That is a lot of chocolate.

Does the Maris otter act kind of like carapils and give extra body? How dark is the munich I?

You should run this through a proram BTW.

Overall it sounds tastey and fairly easy to brew.

You need an advertizing person to come up with a name though. ;-)

That is a lot of chocolate.
It kinda is isn't it. Maybe I'll cut that back a little.
Does the Maris otter act kind of like carapils and give extra body? How dark is the munich I?
I wouldn't say the mo adds body but I do find it to be fuller than plain ol 2 row so I like to cut it in on recipes that need that fullness. I'm not sure what the color of the munich is at my LHBS but Brewmate calls it 7.1. The LHBS sells it as a base malt so I know theirs is pretty light too.
You should run this through a proram BTW.
It's put together in Brewmate. Does what I need it to do and I leave the rest up to the force.
Overall it sounds tastey and fairly easy to brew.

You need an advertizing person to come up with a name though. ;-)
Thank you sir. Yeah, nothing complicated, just what I think will be a rich mix of malt with that fuggles earthiness and a touch of mild willamette aroma.

Unofficially it's called meRobust Porter, lol. I think my past ten batches (of my own recipe creation) have all been named me(style name) for lack of something more creative. Lemme make it first, then I'll come back and name it. I can come up with something better.

You tell him that he has a lot of chocolate, yet your using the same amount Plus 1lb roasted barley.....in a porter..... Most porters don't have roasted barley at all.

Op, the recipe looks good but I'd add 5% or so of a medium crystal but that's just personal preference.

The EFPis taken from BYO. I think it is closer to Summit Great Northern Porter, but I like that brand/flavor better. It is a little less smoky/roasty.

Mine is a double batch, 22# base grain.

Porters - my understanding - are hearty brews that were produced and drank at "ports"

"meRobust Porter" has a good nautical sound to it matey! I think that's nicely appropriate.

My porter has 11% Simpson's chocolate and I think it's great. Reminded me of the Edmund Fitzgerald I had while I was creating the recipe. I also have Crystal 40L (around 10%) as well. Maris Otter is a more flavorful base grain. To my knowledge it doesn't add any more body than normal pale malt. It does, however, impart a nutty flavor, at least it does to me.
Also, I would bump your flaked barley up as well. You have 3% and I used over 15% and I really like how it turned out.

You tell him that he has a lot of chocolate, yet your using the same amount Plus 1lb roasted barley.....in a porter..... Most porters don't have roasted barley at all.

Op, the recipe looks good but I'd add 5% or so of a medium crystal but that's just personal preference.
His is double the batch size so he'd only be using half of what I have targeted. But...no roast in mine so the color has to come from somewhere. I'm hesitant to bump the black patent up too much.
Ah crystal. I figured that might come up. In all honesty, I'm not a fan of crystal malts. I don't like that raisin flavor but they do contribute to this fullness I mentioned. The brown malt is intended to be the crystal replacement. It has a very similar quality. At least the stuff I roasted does...I've never used commercial brown malt before.

Boostr20 - Are you in the UP? My oldest is at Mi. Tech and I've exchanged PMs with a couple of the members from up there. They had a brew/meet last year. I cuoldn't make it though. Maybe sometime in the future - I'm hoping.

My porter has 11% Simpson's chocolate and I think it's great. Reminded me of the Edmund Fitzgerald I had while I was creating the recipe. I also have Crystal 40L (around 10%) as well. Maris Otter is a more flavorful base grain. To my knowledge it doesn't add any more body than normal pale malt. It does, however, impart a nutty flavor, at least it does to me.
Also, I would bump your flaked barley up as well. You have 3% and I used over 15% and I really like how it turned out.

Do you have the recipe posted?

I'm kinda new to using a lot of flaked grains. I'm under the impression they are primarily for head retention and mouthfeel. Is this correct or do they impart a noticeable flavor?

I'm kinda new to using a lot of flaked grains. I'm under the impression they are primarily for head retention and mouthfeel. Is this correct or do they impart a noticeable flavor?

Oats give more flavor than flaked barley but both are for full bodied beers. I used 15% in a stout recently and it was very creamy. 1lb of chocolate will be fine but don't be afraid of using 1/2lb of debittered black or carafa 3 also. Or if your lhbs has black Prinze, use that. Great mild roast, to s of color and no astringency.

I'm located in west Michigan.

Do you have the recipe posted?

I'm waiting for this version to carb up, but I drank half a pint from the bottling bucket and I enjoyed every drop.

Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.32 l
Post Boil Volume: 6.90 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.68 l
Bottling Volume: 4.73 l
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 42.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.5 %
0.30 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 17.2 %
0.23 kg Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.2 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (430.0 SRM) Grain 4 11.5 %
0.01 kg Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.6 %
8.00 g Northern Brewer [9.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 38.1 IBUs
4.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 2.1 IBUs
0.3 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 1.74 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 4.54 l of water at 175.8 F 158.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 1.82 l of water at 198.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.20l) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Saaz for flavor. Interesting. I was thinking about swapping out the Willamette in mine for Centennial. I'm thinking about throwing a Centennial rhizome in the ground this coming year and I have Fuggles out there all ready. Would be cool, if this turns out well, to use all home grown hops and brew it again next winter. Though, I'm also considering growing Saaz instead...if I can find any.

I'm drinking a Robust Porter I brewed 10/16. It's just hitting it's stride now and is great. Recipe below. Has no discernible acrid flavor, I was hoping for a wee bit. Chocolate was very prominent when young but has toned down a bit. I'll absolutely hold a sixer of this in the back of the pantry for a couple months. I suggest leaving the barley out and adding some crystal malt.

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 79.9 %
10.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.0 %
10.1 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.0 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.0 %
5.9 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.0 %

Editing the op to match what I actually brewed last week. I made a few changes to deal with outages at my LHBS. I just pulled a sample and it seems to have finished pretty high, 1.023-1.024, but holy schnitzel does it taste yummy. It's right in that zone between a "small" porter and a robust. I'm happy just crossing my fingers it carries through to the keg then to the glass.

Latest posts

Back