Just another build thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
but as Lee Corso would say.. "Not so fast......!!!"

What the heck do I want to do......

What I do know..
1. I want it to be electric.
2. I want it to be easily repeatable.
3. I want to build it myself to save money.
4. I am pretty handy with things and not scared to try something new.
5. I will be using the boiling pot condenser to evacuate steam.
6. Pretty sure I want to build a 3 vessel HERMS system. (I have the 3 keggles)
7. Not sure if we can believe anything in the first 4 statements.

I have just completed building the Tap Room where the brewing will take place. I will post pics and construction notes on that in this thread so that you get an idea of where things will be going... I thought the whole process would been boring and redundant to post.. so I just took pics... and will post summary of what I did. And, it tool 18 months to do in my spare time.. so... updates would have been sparse.

What I do not know is which system I want to build. I know, that is the important part. But I always get caught loving the new flashiest build that comes along. Only to say.. well, the old tried and true way is the best way to go..... I originally wanted to build a traditional PID system. Then I started reading about the BruControl systems.. then BrewPi.. all of those types of systems will do what I want.. and it seems the cost points are similar.

What are your thoughts on the easiest system to maintain? meaning electrical part malfunctions etc etc... now is probably the best time for me to hush and listen to the wisdom on this board. I have lurked here for years.. and am really glad that I am now at the point to start purchasing brewing parts to assemble my system.

I am looking for benefits or things you wish you had known before you built your system. Or did you build one type, and wish you would have built another. Also, I am not limited to the 3 systems listed if I over looked any.. they all look really nice to me.

Thanks for all the past wisdom shared.. and for the replies to this thread as well.

Baloo

I'm pretty similar to you in most regards. My plan is to build an e-BIAB in a keggle using an Auber EZ Boil.

I like what BruContrl and BrewPi offer in theory, but it seems so overkill in terms of complexity, and I don't see major gains. It seems more like complexity for complexity sake. The same logic applies to 3 vessels - after doing propane BIAB for the last six or eight months or so, I don't see any improvements to be had that justify the space it would take up. I'm not saying that there are none, just that for me, a recirculating BIAB on an EZ Boil ticks all the boxes.

Biggest limit for me is the fact that my house's electric panel is full and that needs to be upgraded first.

I think I just like the idea of having three shiny keggles on the work table....

what bag do you use for your keggle.....

I have Brew In A Bag but Wilser makes good stuff too. The 3v looks nice but takes up so much space, and between my keezer, motorcyle, two cars, and five bikes (down from seven!) space is at a premium in my garage. BIAB is just so easy- heat, mash, pull the bag, boil, chill. 1 thing to clean. Easy peasy. Less steps, quicker day.

Latest posts

Back