Just an introduction...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbig

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Tod, and I am not an alcoholic... YET. lol.

Not really a noob.. but sort of. I used to do a lot of home brewing several years ago, and for some reason got out of it. All my beer making stuff sat out in the shed for @ 13 years, and I recently got a wild hair to get started in it again. After going through all my stuff, I realized that time had taken its toll. All I could re-use was my trusty bottle capper. So, all new stuff with two fermenting bins. I've never used a secondary, so I can get out two different batches at once. In the last two weeks, I've made batches of American light lager, a Mexican Cerveza, a Bock, and now a cider batch is working. The light and the Cerveza are bottled, while the Bock is in cold crash right now.

Speaking of the cider, I pulled a recipe off of here for an easy batch... 6 gals apple juice, 2 cans frozen apple juice, 2 lbs brown sugar, and I started some EC-1118 @ 8 hrs before I mixed it. I boiled the sugar and a gallon of the juice for @ 20 minutes, then added to the mix. My beer mixes usually bubble really hard for one or two days, then taper off. This stuff went strong for 4 days, and today, the 5th, is still going @ a bubble a second through the airlock. I plan on back-sweetening with some Stevia.. or maybe even see how much I need for my bottles, then when I go to drink it, add that much Stevia into the glass first before pouring. That way, people that like a dry cider can enjoy also. My wife likes it sweet.

Nothing fancy in my beer making. Just LME kits, though I do add more sugar/dme than you guys do. I have to make runs down to my fellow Texans to get their beer at 6% alc, and that's what I try to make my home brew get to.. at least. I know many of you don't care what the ABV ends up being.. you're all about taste, but when me and my UN-sophisticated buddies get together for a few beers, we don't talk about the subtle tastes of oak, try to guess which country the hops came from, or which aftertastes linger as we sip out of crystal glasses with our pinkies out. It's more the neanderthal, "Man, I got a good buzz!" And if that good buzz happens to come from a beer that tastes PRETTY GOOD, then I'll settle for that for now.

A couple things, and sorry, as you can see, I tend to get long-winded sometimes. When you guys test the gravity, I see you put the beer into a vial first, then float the hydrometer in that instead of in the bucket. These last batches I've run, after done, have been VERY carbonated still. I'm fermenting on the cool side at @ 67 degrees American. So.. since this carbonation would affect how high the hydrometer floats, do you shake the fizz out of it first?

And lastly.. just wanted to give a note of encouragement to those that think they've made a bad batch. While many don't have the space or supplies to wait so long, I once made a very dark beer, that after being bottled for @ a month, was one of the WORST beers I had ever tasted. It was so bad, I thought I got some bad yeast. It got shoved to the back and forgotten for at LEAST 2 years. After re-discovering it, I thought I'd give it one more try. That horrible beer seasoned up to be probably the BEST beer I'd ever had. So... PATIENCE Grasshopper. If you get a bad batch, set it to the side and try it again after a while if you don't have to have those bottles (Or that keg) for a while.

Welcome back buddy! Like all hobbies, home brewing is an art when you're looking to perfect it but... I love to hang with friends and just drink and collect memories! I'd hang with you and your boys anytime.

Oh and many people use a vial to measure their gravity since they don't use buckets. They use carboys to ferment or better bottles.

Cheers!

Anyone who says they don't care about the ABV of beer is just not being honest with themselves. Flavor is important, but this isn't Coca Cola we're making!

Flavor is important, but this isn't Coca Cola we're making!

Yeah, but sometimes a good strong dark beer that LOOKS like Coca Cola can be pretty tasty! lol. This Bock beer batch, I have 6 1/2 gallon fermenting buckets. I used the Muntons Bock with 2 lbs DME and 2 lbs corn sugar. I started my yeast on 1/4 cup of corn sugar and 20 oz water left after the boil and let it get going for @ 12 hrs. After about an hour and a half of getting everything in the bucket and the yeast added, it started puking foam out of my vapor lock all over the lid. Had to pull the lid, clean everything off and pull out a quart and dump it. Lid back on and 20 minutes later.. same thing. Had to waste another quart. Ever seen a grown man cry? That half gallon taken off was all that was needed though. I'm just hoping that introducing air into it twice by taking the lid off didn't do any harm. That's one problem with this hobby.. it takes so long before you know if you screwed up or not.

So Scoundrel... do said people, when measuring gravity in WHATEVER method they ferment in... Is the carbonation gotten rid of somehow? Am I wrong in thinking this would float a hydrometer more than a flat wort?

So Scoundrel... do said people, when measuring gravity in WHATEVER method they ferment in... Is the carbonation gotten rid of somehow? Am I wrong in thinking this would float a hydrometer more than a flat wort?

Ya two ways. The first is time. For instance, I ferment my beer for 3 weeks and by that time there is minimal carbonation. The second is by lifting the hydrometer out of the tube to get as much foam as possible off and then spinning it when it's placed back in the vial to keep it off the sides and get a good reading.

Just got my Bock batch bottled up tonight, and it tasted GREAT already! Can't wait! According to the beer calculator thing, I did everything wrong and it sucks. lol. Too much DME and sugar. BUT.. have you noticed that one person may love a beer and think it's great.. while another can't even finish his? To each his own I guess. I mean heck.. I know a guy that prefers Natty light over everything else? Another time, there was a breakin at a local convenience store after hours. They got a few bucks out of the register and had any beer the place sold to choose from to walk out with.. and they stole a case of Keystone Light. lol. So go figure.

It's now day 7 on the apple cider and still bubbling away strong. This stuff may be flammable when it's done...

Yeah,I wanna catch a rising buzz of my beer. but this isn't just hooch we're making to get drunk off of that tastes ok. This is home made craft beer with decent ABV on average. No,I don't drink out of crystal glasses,just a collection of beer glasses & shot glasses. I like shots with my beer. Pop got me started on that by buying me a 5th of Beam's choice for my birthday every year. He'd show up with the bottle,& being spring we had some fresh bass & taters going into the fryin pan. Beer,fresh fish good company. Oh yeah.:mug:

Back