Juniper IPA advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegitBrew

Reaction score
I am going to try and make delicious juniper ipa later this week, but do not have any experience using these berries in beer. It's part of a homebrew competition brew-off with a set ingredients list that you can make a few changes to. Here's what I've got:
5 gallon recipe.

8 lbs Pale 2-row
1 lb 20L Crystal
8 oz Carahell

2 oz Amarillo

US-05

I can add/change either a hop or a grain in any amount and add one "anything" ingredient in any amount. Am going for a juniper ipa for springtime (competition in April). I thought I could get more out of a hop addition than a grain addition and can add any other hop to the recipe in any amount Wondering if anyone has experience blending hop flavor/aroma with junipers. Thinking a piney hop (simcoe perhaps) might blend well and let the juniper ease in subtly. But am also thinking a contrast may prove more interesting, since I can still use the 2oz amarillo however I want to get some orangy citrus spice. Any suggestions on what other hops might mesh well? Also, I've read a few posts over the webs and it seems to be the consensus that 1/2 oz of berries for 5 gallons is a good place to start. Thinking I will opt for making a tea out of them and add in small increments after fermentation rather than adding them towards the end of boil to get a little more control of how juniper-y it is. Any advice appreciated!

UPDATE:
Fermentation done. Here's the recipe I went with:

8 lbs Rahr 2-row
1 lb 20L
8oz Carahell

1/2oz Amarillo (9.8AA) 60'
1/2oz Amarillo 30'
1/2oz Motueka (8.6AA)30'
1oz Motueka 15'
1/2oz Motueka 5'
1oz Motueka Flameout

1 tablet whirfloc 15'
1 packet US-05 + H20 rehydrator/starter

Dryhopped Secondary 6 days:
2oz Motueka
1oz Amarillo
1.5(ish) cups Tea made with 1/2oz muddled juniper berries, steeped around 10 minutes

OG-1.047
FG-1.007
ABV-5.25
SRM-5.4
IBU-60.4(ish)

Cold crashing now and will keg tomorrow.
Initial smell is fantastic! Super-lemon and orange aromas from the hops. First time using Motueka and I have to say....I am impressed. Excellent flavor profile as well with just the right amount of juniper bite and smell to compliment the heavily citrus aroma. The body is a bit lighter than I'd like, but I wasn't allowed to adjust the grainbill. If I brewed this again, I'd probably bulk it up slightly. Mouthfeel was a little weak as well, but after carbonation it should be fine. Beautiful color and quite clear. Will post a photo post-carbonation. The juniper was just right, if anything it is probably more towards the "too much" end of the spectrum.....I wouldn't advise using more than than a half ounce in a beer this light.

Sounds awesome. Do you think you could get a little more body from a 90min boil? I was thinking about throwing some Juniper berries in the hop back for one of my summer brews

I made a big juniper IPA with mostly chinook. I think the chinook paired nicely with the earthy/cedar qualities of the juniper berries. The cedar quality of the juniper seemed to lessen throughout its life. It was really prominent through the whole fermentation, but became very muted in the finished beer. I think my recipe was 2-row, rye (about 25%), and a touch of 40L, and a whole ounce of mashed, dried juniper berries. I ended up with an almost 8% sahti inspired juniper rye IPA. I'll make it again in a heartbeat.

Back