Juice when priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigmn

Reaction score
I made an ipa that I want intense orange flavor and aroma in and I want to add more. I've already dry hopped it and was wondering if adding fresh squeezed orange juice as some of the liquid when adding my priming sugar would work. I can't see why it would hurt but I want to ask ask people with more experience than I have

You will not get much flavor from Orange juice. And if you use some, you will need to know the sugar content to ensure you get the correct amount to prime with.

I suggest zesting (not just peeling) a few oranges, and placing it in a couple of ounces of vodka for a week or two, and then add the vodka to the bottling bucket. The oil in the skin has far more orange flavor than the juice, and the high alcohol of the vodka will extract the oils quicker than just tossing the zest in the beer.

Next time I brew this if the increased amount of zest in the boil doesn't do it i'll try that, but as I've already dry hopped it I'm not going to extend it two more weeks. I appreciate the suggestion though since I know it would work.

Latest posts

Back