Jockey box cooling options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trboyden

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What I am in the planning stages of building is a little more involved than your typical jockey box, but without going into a lot of detail, the cooling aspect for the beer taps will be jockey box like.

The common cooling devices would seem to be either SS/Copper coils or cold plates. Based on other threads and Google research, I've decided a coil device is likely the way I am going to go. That said, has anyone used or considered PEX tubing for the coil? I won't pretend to be anywhere near a thermodynamics expert, but based on the design criteria - getting cold into the beer in the beer line and keeping it there - wouldn't PEX make more sense for it's lower heat/cooling loss? Not to mention it's a cheaper material and easier to work with. Thoughts, comments, personal experience, expert advice?

It's lower heating / cooling loss, means it won't transfer the cold to your beer well enough.

Plus, it does not coil well, and you would have to "restrain" it after you coiled it, and may need more "footage" of it to get the heat transfer you desire.

My thoughts.

My friend and I did a test with 100' of 5/16 bevlex plastic tubing. We filled a keg with hose water, approx 90°F, and then put the 100' of tubing in an ice chest full of crushed ice. We were able to achieve a consistent 30°F temperature drop and get 60°F water from the faucet. Pex might work a little better since it is thinner. Why not try and and report back?

That's what I am thinking. I think the coiling issue could be overcome by using the same clips they use in subfloor heating, so I am not worried about that. Plus stainless steel and copper don't coil that well either. You always see people using wire ties to keep their coils together. I think I would just wrap it around a PVC pipe anyways.

I have a copper and stainless steel chiller, so if I make a pex coil of the same length, I should be able to time and compare the temperatures of the three. I'll put them each in 5 gallon buckets, fill the buckets with ice water and then pump room temperature water through them and measure the results. I guess that would settle the matter scientifically right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back