Janet's Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Finally getting around to brewing Janet's Brown after reading/hearing about it for years. Based on some old threads floating around the internet and a few articles, I found that Tasty used this water profile:

Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm

I use RO water and usually keep my minerals on the lower side for most brews but am trying to be as true to his original recipe as possible on this one and want a sanity check. I am doing a 7.50 gal batch and my software has me adding (total mash and boil) 18.6g Gypsum, 4.1g Calc Chloride, 8.6g Epsom Salt, and 2.6g Baking Soda.

I have no doubt that the software is correct and this will result in the right profile but that seems like A LOT of stuff to be adding to the water. Anyone else done this before?

I brewed this a few years back using the same documented water profile and it was definitely too much sulfate for my tastes. A bit too much was going on with the roast, hops, and drying effect of the water profile.

If I try it again (with much more brewing experience now), I will stick to my usual maximum of ~100 ppm SO4, or possibly just even out SO4 and Cl both in the 50-80 ppm range. I think it would be nicer with a better balance between malt and hops. Otherwise it's a very nice recipe and I did eventually finish the beer.

I'm thinking I will probably tone the additions down a little while keeping it high on SO4 side. Thanks!

Back