Jamil Zainasheff's ESB... p. 121

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliloop

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm stuck without details. I ran to the area homebrew shop yesterday and grabbed the ingredients for an ESB. The people there were nice enough to tell me what I needed, and let me write down the gist of of Brewing Classics Syle book, but I see now that I didn't write (or maybe even see) the info on how much water when.

It's on page 121, and has these ingredients:

Steep:
Crystal (15ºL) .5 lb.
Cyrstal (120ºL) .25 lb.

Extract:
English Pale Ale LME 8.6 lb. (3.5ºL)

Hops:
Kent Goldings 5% AA 2 oz. for 60 minutes
Kent Goldings 5% 1 oz. for 0 minutes

Weast:
London ESB 1968

I was told to steep the little bit of grain as the water is getting hot... then add the extract and the 2 oz. of Kent... then the 1 oz. after I've turned the heat off and am cooling down.

Basically, after making you either read thru or scroll thru all that - is there a standard amount of water for the different stages of brewing in a recipe like this, or can I just wing it?

I was thinking I'd start with 2 gal. of water and just go with that to the end, then add at the carboy stage... but I dunno. HELP!?

Thanks! Hope y'all are all having a lovely summer!

You might get more reply's in the beginner's section (just for future reference). ;)

It looks like you've got a recipe for a 5 gallon batch. Boil as much water in a single pot as you can, leaving enough room for the boil and hot break. After you're done boiling and cooling, when you add to the carboy, top off to approx 5.5 gallons (you'll loose some to non-fermentables/trub)

If you haven't already, I suggest checking out How to Brew by John Palmer

Thanks so much!
I think I posted here, because I was searching all over this site and this was where most of the posts were located. But thanks - I'll go to the kiddie pool next time. :ban:

Yeah all the recipes in the book target 6 gallon batch sizes, NOT 5 gallons.

My guess is that you start out with around 7 gallons pre-boil.

6 gallon? ...sigh. I don't have one of those. Ok, so another imposing question: how does one fraction down all that to be 5 gallons? Ugh...

Most of us don't do extract brewing anymore, and the book make some assumptions about water quantity. if your doing an extract batch you normally use a 3-4 gallon boil. By the end of the boil you will be down 1/3 of the water quantity you started with. If you do full quantity boils (which your not doing)you would start with 7 gallons lose one to the boil and one to transferring and racking, leaving you with 5 gallons of beer. But extract you rack everything into a 5 gallon carboy and then fill up the carboy to the top making a total of 5 gallons.
Ps: They don't use 5 gallon carboys, they use 7.5 gallon conacals which have room to ferment 6-7 gallons, they do this to end up with 5 usable gallons of beer. Which is impossible to do with a 5 gallon carboy. Just use the extract recipe as is fill the up to 5 gallon line and it will work great.

how big is your carboy/ail pail? i'd think that 6.5 gal w/ a blow off tube would be enough to hold it, you may not even need the blow off.
like somebody said earlier, boil as much as you can get by with, then top it off with cool water in the carboy/ail pail. if you can boil the full 7.5 gal, which you'd need after the 1 hour boil off to get to your desired 6 gal (depending on your set up, but it's a good guess), do it and skip the top off.

if you still want to scale it down (which is more hassle than it's worth, if you have a big enough vessel to ferment in, imo) download the trial of something like beersmith or promash and they will scale it for you.

Who are they? Jamil used carboys upon writing the book. A 6 gallon carboy is about 6.5 gallons. 6 gallons post boil, 5.5 in the carboy, 5 in the keg. It's laid out pretty clearly in the book.

Using software like promash, beersmith or Strange Brew will do sizing calculations for you based on a lot of variables.
I assume the THEY means the software.

Sorry, I was referring to the "they" two posts prior to mine. Those who use cylindroconical unitanks.

At 6 Gallons:
1.056 OG
30.2 IBU

At 5 Gallons:

1.067 OG
32.9 IBU

To correct
7.2 of extract
3 OZ each grain
1.75 hops at 60
.5 hops at 1

Gets you to about the same numbers, and should work.

16 Oz in a pound so

8.6 * 16 = 137.6 (ounces)
137.6 / 6 = 22.93 (ounces per gallon)
22.93 * 5 = 114.65 (ounces you should use)
114.65 / 16 = 7.16 (converstion to pounds of extract)
etc.

I plugged your ingredients into my software, with a final batch size of 5.25 gal. I assume I am going to lose about 1/4 gallon to trub & yeast when I use extract. So, with your ingredients I come up a SG of 1.058 and an estimated FG of 1.018 for an abc of 5.3%. Which falls within the BJCP style guidelines for an ESB.

I would suggest to boil as much water as you can, like others have said, but only add 3 lbs of your extract at the beginning of your boil and then add the remainder of the extract with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. This is known as a late extract addition and this will help with the hop acid utilization. It also helps keep the beer from becoming too dark. Once you chill your beer pour it into the fermenter and add water to top it off the 5.25 gallons. I put 2 or 3 gallons into the freezer to get it good and cold. When it gets added to the chilled wort it will help get chill it even more.

I have been doing extracts for a while now. I think what you are looking for is a simple "standard" extract brew: Heat as much water as possible to 170 deg. Steep all of the grains (in a grain bag if you have it) for 30 mins. Remove the grains, bring the wort to a boil. Shut the heat off and add the extract. Return the wort to a boil and boil for 60 min. Add your first hop addition once the wort comes to a boil. Add the second hop addition at flame out. Once you have cooled the wort, transfer to fermenter. Top off with clean cool water to reach 6 gallons and pitch yeast when cool enough and aerate. Good luck. :mug:

Back