Jalapeño beer + plastic fermenter = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a jalapeño cream ale and started thinking - will this leave a lingering taste in a plastic fermonster? I haven’t brewed a pepper beer in a long while and can’t remember if I used an old bucket and/or if it left an after taste.

I guess I could always do a long oxy soak to be sure.

Personally, I would "dedicate" buckets for special brews. If you brew a pepper beer in one then it should never be used for any other type of beer.

Like when kegging root beer...the aroma gets infused in the gaskets and the tap line. You can't use them for anything else.

Have you ever thought about just brewing a straight beer and making a batch of "pepper tea" to be added at bottling time?

Jalapeño beer + plastic fermenter = BEER! I have made Pepper beers, hoppy beers, Pumpkin beers etc. Even when I could still smell some lingering odor, I never tasted anything in the next batch.

If you really want to obsess over it, dedicate a bucket to Jalapeno beers.

My Fermonsters don’t take on a hoppy flavor or a dark roasty flavor so I can’t image they’d take on a Jalapeño flavor. Beer lines and rubber o rings are another story.

I decided to just put it in one of my fermonsters and will end up bottling so not worried about the keg set up.

I added some roasted peppers to the boil and have a pepper soaking in vodka now, which will all be added to the fermenter as “dry peppering”.

I am getting ready to brew a jalapeño cream ale and started thinking - will this leave a lingering taste in a plastic fermonster? I haven’t brewed a pepper beer in a long while and can’t remember if I used an old bucket and/or if it left an after taste.

I guess I could always do a long oxy soak to be sure.

Based on real life experience... it will clean out just fine. No worries.

I just added my “dry pepper” and tincture this morning. Will cold crash in a few days and get this puppy in bottles!

Back