Jaggery-my experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty1776

Reaction score
Just in case anyone was interested, I wanted to post my thoughts on Jaggery.

I always wanted to try it, since Mosher recommended it. I was able to find a fez shaped kilo of it for $4 at an Indian grocery store. I'm crazy about tripels so a known good recipe for tripel was made and it was sub'd for other sugars. Cutting it was difficult. I pretty much shaved off slices until I got the amt I needed. I toss sugars in just toward end of boil to get any nuances they may provide. I got it in wort, no problems. Upon racking into fermenter, I noted my gravity was lower than expected, no big deal really, but I'd been on track as of preboil. Apparently very fermentable as attenuation was at 87%. Fine.

I used it again, in another tripel, this time I had a big chunk left and decided to soften in hot water. I saw a dark spot and dug it out. Big beetle, must've died in hog heaven. No big deal. As the block was made liquid, saw probably 5 black spots. Pulled out, one-by-one, all bugs. Brew done, into fermenter, gravity off again. I was on at preboil with gravity.

As described by Mosher, it's kinda creamy tasting. I though it was really nothing special and not all that sweet. I wish I'd have measured it's potential myself but I'm wondering if may've been cut with something or the bugs ate up a bunch of the good sugar, I don't know, I'd be surprised if this was the case. It was straight from India, not surprised by the bugs and I don't care.

All in all, there are so many different sugars to try, I'm likely done with this one. If I get again, I'll check it's potential my self.

Rebooting an older thread.

I'm interested to learn about other people's experiences brewing with jaggery. Good/bad? Gravity point contribution? OP indicates low. Anything else to be aware of? I'm including my recipe below as reference. Thanks in advance.

JAGGERY SAISON (5.5 gal, 1.050 OG, 6%)
82% Pilsen malt
13% Jaggery @ 60
5% Wheat malt
Hop @ 60 (28 IBU)
BE-134 Belgain Saison yeast

I've used jaggery a few times. It's sugar so it's main contribution will be alcohol. It does darken the beer color. I think it adds a bit of "je ne sais quoi" but I could be imagining it.

I've used jaggery a few times. It's sugar so it's main contribution will be alcohol. It does darken the beer color. I think it adds a bit of "je ne sais quoi" but I could be imagining it.

Thanks. Did you use it in higher amounts and/or with a complex grain bill?

I forgot I have an example on tap 😀 This is based on Drew Beechum's Saison Ete. Malts were Pils, wheat and Vienna. Seems darker than what they would contribute so I assume the jaggery did that.

20220824_201649.jpg

Thanks. Did you use it in higher amounts and/or with a complex grain bill?
I know where you're going with this. ;)

Assuming you're still chasing the perfect Mild, just stick to the invert, it's waaaaay better. When Mosher's book first came out, I thought it was the silver bullet. It's just sugar. Creamy? Nah.

I'll see you back in the Mild Ale/Invert sugar thread in a few weeks....UK brewing season is coming!!!!!!!

I know where you're going with this. ;)

Assuming you're still chasing the perfect Mild, just stick to the invert, it's waaaaay better. When Mosher's book first came out, I thought it was the silver bullet. It's just sugar. Creamy? Nah.

I'll see you back in the Mild Ale/Invert sugar thread in a few weeks....UK brewing season is coming!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder. I do need to get back onto that project just as soon as the weather cools off. I'll have a half kilo of jaggery left over from this saison and I might try inverting that. Two birds with one stone!

That jaggery saison was frickin awesome btw. Unlike when I've used honey, the flavor and aroma actually makes it through to the finished product. I'll be doing that saison again when the weather warms up.

This week I'm brewing a jaggery Belgian blonde. Just with pils, aromatic (Franco-Belges), and a little wheat. I'm interested to know how M41 yeast works with the jaggery.

Back