It's been a week with no fermentation, can I still add fresh yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moristron

Reaction score
My fellow brewers,

Last week I brewed a Tripel IPA (og 1076) and added a six months old Wyeast 3522 Ardennes package (refrigerated since bought, as usual). Since I never made a starter before with these packs (never really needed to) I assumed fermentation would pick up eventually after some time...

The thing is, I had to leave town for a few days four days after brewing and had no time to get my hands on any other yeast to add to the wort (only had a package of Muntons dry yeast, and I didn't want to spoil that yummy wort). Wort temp was around 68F.

Now I'm back and do have a fresh new package of Wyeast 3522...and the wort still show no signs of activity whatsoever. I really dont know what went wrond, I pitched at 78F and popped the nutrition package more than 48hrs prior.

Should I bother adding the fresh yeast, or is that a waste and shoul I save it for a new batch?

And yeah, I learned that next time I should be patient and make a starter ;)

well it's only $7 for the chance of saving all your effort to date, I'd do it. Unless you taste a sample and it's already gone south. A week unfermented is a pretty long time.

Did you check it with a hydrometer? It might just be off to a really slow start. But I'm with dbrewski. Add some yeast. But why not give it 12 hours in a starter solution with some energizer before you pitch the new yeast? It's only another half day.

Latest posts

Back