its another broken hydrometer thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh0001

Reaction score
So the other day I went to pour the Hydrometer out of its plastic tube into my hand. Of course i missed it, and it fell onto the tile and shattered. :(

Today was brew day. I did the AG Caribou Slobber kit from NB. Has anyone else tried this or its original (Moose Drool)?

I took a sample from the wort and put it in a beer bottle, then capped it. Im hoping when my new hydrometer gets here on Thursday I can get an OG reading. Anyone know if this will work?

Also when I was re hydrating my dried Windsor yeast at 90 degrees, it didn't seem to foam up at all. I waited at least 25 minutes. I pitched it anyways. Do different yeasts foam, or not foam when rehydrated?

I've broken 3 in 12 years.

Yeah that will work just fine, as long as you remember to compensate for temperature, or let the sample warm up to room temp first.

I often use S-05, and it never foams, come to think, I've never had a dry yeast foam up, just turn cloudy.

I've broken 3 in 12 years.

Yeah that will work just fine, as long as you remember to compensate for temperature, or let the sample warm up to room temp first.

I often use S-05, and it never foams, come to think, I've never had a dry yeast foam up, just turn cloudy.

Good to know Sea! Thanks for the heads up.

The caribou slobber kit is one of my favorites. Have brewed it a few times already.

Broke two in one week, along with a thermometer... Beer Gods must be pissed at me...

I've gone 6 years without breaking a single piece of brewing glass. Then in January 2010 I broke 3 hydrometers and 2 floating thermometers.

Nothing useful to add to the thread, just wanted to vent. :)

Haha, something about the new year! I hope my new one gets here soon so I can test my SLobber OG!

Bummer. Never thought about breaking one. Glad I have a back up.

Moose Drool is one of my faves. When we used to live in Idaho and Oregon it was one of my go to beers.

Can't vouch for the NB kit, but sure it will be fine. I have done the AHS clone of Moose Drool and it was a huge hit.

Good luck.

Back