it possible to mount your pump higher than your kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
I am re-working my top tier stand, and i saw thus blichmann youtube video with the pump mounted above the kettles. - Higher was perfect - No more crawler under lit burners to hook up the pump... So i tried it - too high for the liquid to get to the pump... Is there a way to run you pump higher than your kettles like this and get enough feed into the pump to have it run?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.01.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.01.49 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
An impeller type pump must always have the liquid above it to prime it. Otherwise, you are looking at a diaphragm type pump that self primes, but none that I know of are capable of the temperatures required for the hot-side brewing process. I'm curious to see the video, do you have the link?

That's a rather unfortunately produced Northern Brewer video of the Top Tier system.
That setup is bogus and would never work. And it's obvious that rig had never been fired...

Mag pumps can't draw when dry, so they need to be below whatever is providing their input...

Cheers!

Ok. To be fair, that was not a video about brewing, it was a product demonstration video exhibiting the versatility of the top tier system. I can see where the confusion lies though @Leukass

You can also go for a peristaltic pump using silicone tubing. They are quite pricey and tend to be fairly slow.

Back