It finally happened!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
I nailed a single varietal cider using gravenstein juice using hornindal kveik (which is my favorite at this point). I added some tannin bit by bit till it was just right. It tasted great! So, time to bottle some, and keg the rest. I set up my pressure transfer system set at 3psi, opened the valve, barely, and boom! A big chunk of glass went flying, and cider everywhere! I managed to save about 3 quarts which was put into a gallon jug... I heard of this happening, and now I know. Darn, that cider was good, and I really wanted to taste it carbonated, and aged.

I bought 5 more gallons of grav juice; take 2 :)

what caused the boom??
There must have been a weak spot in the glass, maybe it got bumped against something along the way? It was a bug chunk, about a 3x5 piece. Usually the orange rubber cap pops off if there is too much pressure, and the gauge was set to 3psi. I have heard of it happening, but didn't expect it to at such a low pressure. Now I'm gun shy using CO2 to transfer... Certainly don't want to lose another batch anytime soon, or ever for that matter! Good thing I had another batch ready to keg (this one was supposed to be bottled conditioned, but...). I started another one yesterday afternoon. It's already ripping away, gotta love kveik!

Sad. Sorry for your loss.
I use a vacuum pump as I don’t keg (yet). No worries there, and no lifting full carboys.
Cheers

a shameless plug for Steve @ allinonewinepump.com a great product with unheard of customer service.

I nailed a single varietal cider using gravenstein juice using hornindal kveik I added some tannin bit by bit till it was just right. It tasted great!

Used regular wine tannin?

Now I'm gun shy using CO2 to transfer...

Why not just use an auto siphon?
I've been making beer, wine and cider for years and always use a siphon to transfer from carboys. The only exception is hoppy IPA's, where you can notice a benefit of a pressure transfer.
If you insist on a pressure transfer you can switch to plastic carboys or ferment in corny kegs, just cut an inch or so off the dip tube or get the floating dip tubes.
I always use the plastic carboys for primary and use the glass ones for long term aging of cider and wine. I'm thinking of switching the aging over to kegs and phasing out the glass carboys. I haven't dropped one yet, but I just know its going to happen one of these days....
:mug:

How do you like it?

I love it. I use it for racking wine, degassing and bottling. For beer, I boil outside, cool and bring inside. Depending on 5 or 10 gallon batch, gets it into carboys in the fermentation chamber (a fridge). I have a full extension pullout shelf in it. Time to bottle, slide drawer out, rack into carboy with priming solution, change racking and for bottling tip and start bottling. I have not had to pick up carboy or disturb yeast/trub in the fermenter either. I would absolutely recommend it.
Disclaimer... I bought and payed for my pump. I’ve never met Steve in person. I emailed him some questions and he called me 10 minutes later. Like I say great customer service. Sorry for the long response.
Cheers

I use
Used regular wine tannin?

Why not just use an auto siphon?
I've been making beer, wine and cider for years and always use a siphon to transfer from carboys. The only exception is hoppy IPA's, where you can notice a benefit of a pressure transfer.
If you insist on a pressure transfer you can switch to plastic carboys or ferment in corny kegs, just cut an inch or so off the dip tube or get the floating dip tubes.
I always use the plastic carboys for primary and use the glass ones for long term aging of cider and wine. I'm thinking of switching the aging over to kegs and phasing out the glass carboys. I haven't dropped one yet, but I just know its going to happen one of these days....
:mug:[/QUOTE

I used a wine tannin blend that I picked up at morebeer in San Leandro. Its really dark colored.

As far as transferring from carboy to keg, I'm going back to auto siphoning! A guy who works at the LHBS turned me on to using the pressure transfer method, or rather, closed system such that there is little to no oxygen. I'd rather have a bit of oxidation than losing a batch. I mean, it's going get consumed long before any oxidation will be noticeable anyways ;)

Back