Issues with my scotch ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
I brewed a Scotch ale extract kit from northern brewer last night. Got out the yeast pack about 12 hours before brew time, smacked it a few times and let it sit. This is the first time I'd ever used a smack pack and was unaware that there was a pouch that was supposed to break (not the best at reading directions apparently) and it did not break. I ended up cutting it open and dumping it into the wort and shaking it well. Is it going to be active or should II try to add another yeast pack? Really hopin it just turns out ok...

The "smack pack" doesn't really do anything. The idea is that smacking it releases some nutrients so the pack swells to show you it's active. That's it. It doesn't give the yeast a head start, and it doesn't need to swell to be used.

Anytime an OG is over about 1.040 or so, it's recommended to do a starter as the cell count in one vial or smackpack is a bit too low for most beers. I know that they say it's good for "up to 5 gallons of 1.034-1.060 wort" or something like that on their package, but that's highly optimistic.

Edit- from Wyeast's own website: "Full swelling of Activator™ packages is not required for their use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability"

Thanks! I should've just let it sit before I said anything. It's fermenting we'll right now!

Latest posts

Back