issues with first lager (to chuck or not to chuck)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffersonjames

Reaction score
I started an Oktoberfest in the half of October. After pitching the yeast I stored it in the basement for fermentation. It fermented at 52 degrees. Now here is where I mayhave messed up...I threw my back out and was out of comission until the end of December. This is when I was able to transfer into a keg for lagering. I tasted while doing this and it tasted aweful...it tasted super green and oily. I brought the temp up to about 65 for 3 days and then brought the temp down to 35 over a couple days. It was at this temp until last week when I tasted it and brought the temp up for another diacytle rest because it was still aweful.

I am thinking that it maybe a lost cause. I know that patience in homebrewing is key and many things can be fixed wuth time but this beer has been going since October and it still sucks...should I give in or give it more time?

So how many days have you actually had it lagered? I find that most of my beers taste fairly green until I have them at low temps for at least 1-2 weeks. After I have my beers kegged and chilled for about 3 weeks they taste even better. But this is just what I have experienced so far.

So how many days have you actually had it lagered? I find that most of my beers taste fairly green until I have them at low temps for at least 1-2 weeks. After I have my beers kegged and chilled for about 3 weeks they taste even better. But this is just what I have experienced so far.

I have had it lagering for just about 2 months. It fermented for 2 months as well...that is what concerns me as it was sitting on the yeast a long time.

When you say oily - is it like an oily mouthfeel, possibly with a buttery component to the flavor? If so, that's diacetyl, and you're probably more or less stuck.

You're best off doing a d-rest when the fermentation is 75% or so done - the active yeast will, as they complete fermenting that last 24%, also clean up the diacetyl. It sounds like your situation basically gave the yeast enough time to floculate out of solution and become mostly dormant, so a d-rest is going to be mostly ineffective.

You could try warming it up again and gently swirling the fermenter to get some of the yeast back into suspension, to see if that might encourage them to chomp away at the diacetyl - if it does, you'll likely have to go and lager again (or at least do an extended cold-crash), but at least you may be able to save the batch from going down the drain.

When you say oily - is it like an oily mouthfeel, possibly with a buttery component to the flavor? If so, that's diacetyl, and you're probably more or less stuck.

You're best off doing a d-rest when the fermentation is 75% or so done - the active yeast will, as they complete fermenting that last 24%, also clean up the diacetyl. It sounds like your situation basically gave the yeast enough time to floculate out of solution and become mostly dormant, so a d-rest is going to be mostly ineffective.

You could try warming it up again and gently swirling the fermenter to get some of the yeast back into suspension, to see if that might encourage them to chomp away at the diacetyl - if it does, you'll likely have to go and lager again (or at least do an extended cold-crash), but at least you may be able to save the batch from going down the drain.

This is what my thought was. I would have done the diacetyl rest after 3 weeks if I did not throw my back out. I just did another rest over the weekend and brought the temp down quickly to 40. I have a beer I will be kegging on Wednesday and another brewing on Saturday. I will give it till the next beer needs a keg then I will toss it if it is not better....a rather sad thing...so I am hoping for the best.

Latest posts

Back