Issue with the cooler I bought to build a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethjohn

Reaction score
I bought a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler from Lowes to make into a mash tun, and ordered hardware from bargainfittings.com. The problem is, that while at first glance the cooler looked just like ones I've seen other folks use, it's got this extra little circular indentation where the old spigot was that makes it so that I can't get the washer up against the hole. (See pictures) I could fit the washer flush against the cooler but then it blocks some of the hole, and I can't fit the nipple through. I was thinking I could make the hole bigger by filing the top of it so that I could fit the nipple through, but then I'm nervous I'll make it too big and the o-ring won't be able to form a seal. Has anyone else run into this problem or have ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks!!
Liz

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

My 10g HD Rubbermaid cooler has a similar depressed well, but the hole is centered, so I just had to grind down a pair of SS fender washers to fill the well.

It ain't worth the pain-in-the-arse it's going to be to work with that thing. Put it back together and take it back. Look for another that has the hole centered in the well. If you can't find it at Lowes, go to HD...

Cheers!

Yea with the hole that far off center its going to be a pain to get right.

Take it back while you can instead of modifying it and find one that looks better.

Back