Is using multiple paint strainer bags an issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanRIowa

Reaction score
I am doing 12 lb grains in 7 gallons of water in a 12 gallon pot. I was thinking of using 2 - 5 gallon paint strainer bags, with half the grain in each.

Is 2 bags going to cause any problems?
How do I attach them and then still get on the lid for the 60/90 minute mash?

Thank you,
Dean

Last edited:
You mean, you can't really stretch either over the rim to stir them?
Maybe they can share the center line. Each bag occupies one half of the kettle.

Why wouldn't the lid fit? It just lies on top.

I'd wrap a sleeping bag around the whole thing and lay something fluffy on the lid too, to reduce heat loss.

I always want to stir so I'm having trouble figuring out how I'd do that in two bags with the symmetry of this situation.

But yeah, wrap whatever you can around the whole thing, sides/top/bottom, for insulation and if you milled will, conversion will take place pretty quick so not to worry about temp drop after say 5-10m.

It's better to use multiple bags rather than jamming them tight full of grain. You want the grain to be in there very loosely, so that it's not packed in. So if you need multiple bags to do that, that's fine.

I bought some bigger bags from @wilserbrewer that fit my MLT and so I just use some binder clips and clip the bag to the top and leave it loose in there, lining the MLT and full of grain. They are thicker than paint straining bags, machine washable, and very durable. If you are going to keep brewing, you may want to consider that. The paint straining bags rip really easily when full of grain (I learned that the hard way).

Get a right-fitting bag from WilserBrewer for your kettle?

Or sew one together from a few yards of voile material plus a nylon string.

I think the material in either choice is quite a bit thicker and stronger too than a paint strainer bag.

[Yooper beat me to it] ;)

Back