Is this tubing from Midwest Supplies OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a March pump and some 1/2" tubing from Midwest Supplies. I just painstakingly installed it into a toolbox along with some fittings from ProFlow Dynamics. I'm very excited about it.

However, I noticed that the tubing, while food grade, is rated to 140 degrees. I had bought it based on their recommendation, and I did a follow-up chat with a sales rep and he told me that many people use it successfully. I don't know if after 140 degrees it maintains its integrity, but releases chemicals, or if all will be fine.

From the tubing itself, it is from Newage Industries, NYCDGRADE PVC, NSF B1 made in USA.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-high-temp-tubing-per-foot.html

Any advice before I do my first batch? RDWHAHB?

Cheers,

Jason

Answer this question...
Is it worth the possibility of ruining your entire batch if chemicals leech out versus just spending the few extra dollars for 500 degree rated silicone tubing?

Not only will be PVC possibly release compounds into your beer above 140 degrees but it will also get very soft. The tubing you have is probably intended for a 1/2" racking cane. I will also recommend silicone. Bobby at brewhardware.com sells it and will get it to you pretty quickly.

I'd ask Midwest how this is High Temp tubing for brewing, The only place you could safely use it is to fill your HLT, or after the chill to transfer to the fermenter and that would be 70°. What other part of brewing involves temps lower than the rated 140° ?

If you are worried you can get some tubing at lowes or hd pretty cheap, that are rated up to around 170 or 175, don't remember. That should be high enough to transfer wort that is in the 150's.

Latest posts

Back