Is this safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm attempting my first sour beer (Using a sour wort technique) but things were a bit rocky at the start. I first used L Plantarum caps but got no drop in pH. After 2 days I added another type of probiotic I just happened to have but after 5 days there was still no drop. Finally I added a vegetable starter culture (for things like sauerkraut) and finally after about 10 days I have checked it and the pH is down in what looks to be the low 4s (using test strips so hard to say exactly.

I have no idea what this should smell like but it smells slightly tart with an almost salty cabbage smell. But it's pretty inoffensive. No vomitnor diaper smell. I filled the carboy right up to the top of the neck and seem to have kept most of the O2 out.

My questions are...

1. Does the smell I am describing smell right? I'm hoping the unpleasant parts will boil off.

2. Do I need to be concerned about botulism given how long this sat before the pH dropped, so long as I boil it?

3. Is this just too long for a sour wort to sit? Is it posdiblebtjis might still make a nice beer?

I do plan to use Brett in this if that makes a difference.

Hi all,

I'm attempting my first sour beer (Using a sour wort technique) but things were a bit rocky at the start. I first used L Plantarum caps but got no drop in pH. After 2 days I added another type of probiotic I just happened to have but after 5 days there was still no drop. Finally I added a vegetable starter culture (for things like sauerkraut) and finally after about 10 days I have checked it and the pH is down in what looks to be the low 4s (using test strips so hard to say exactly.

I have no idea what this should smell like but it smells slightly tart with an almost salty cabbage smell. But it's pretty inoffensive. No vomitnor diaper smell. I filled the carboy right up to the top of the neck and seem to have kept most of the O2 out.

My questions are...

1. Does the smell I am describing smell right? I'm hoping the unpleasant parts will boil off.

2. Do I need to be concerned about botulism given how long this sat before the pH dropped, so long as I boil it?

3. Is this just too long for a sour wort to sit? Is it posdiblebtjis might still make a nice beer?

I do plan to use Brett in this if that makes a difference.

Sounds right to me..

I have read that the toxin boils off, so you should be good.

Yes 10 days is pretty long, all my sour wort normaly take 3 days.

Latest posts

Back