Is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocWall46

Reaction score
I haven't had any airlock activity in a couple weeks, but still have the buildup on top. Just wondering if this is normal or if something went bad (pictured below). Haven't noticed any foul or vinegary smells. Going to get some stuff this weekend to stop fermentation and help clarify it so I can re-rack. My brother retires from the Army June 9th so I wanna be able to give him some as a gift
20180516_091922.jpeg

I would smell and taste that for infections. Also check to make your airlock is not allowing any air in. I saw that happen on a friends mead once and it turned out fine but it also looks similar to what you would see on a sour beer.

If you crush or grind grains in the place where you brew then you may have introduced a lacto or bret infection. I'd get it stabilized quickly as possible.

I'm a firm believer in cold crashing and racking as many times as needed to not have to add anything to my meads. I've not had any start up or cloud up again after bottling but maybe I just been lucky a few times.

I'm still fairly new to this but thought I'd toss in .02

I have noticed the slightest activity in the airlock. Must have just caught it at the right time because I haven't noticed anything for about a week. The smell is still of sweet apples. No vinegar smell. Gonna do an SG reading tonight and give her a taste. If it tastes fine I'll go ahead and hault fermentation and add a clarifying agent. Doubt I'll be able to cold crash in my fridge due to room

Did an SG reading and taste test today. Tastes like a dryer white wine with a little apple. Added #5 chitosan liquid from brew store, had both the fining agent and clarifying agent.

SG was 1.000 on the dot (1.001 for temp adjustment).

Gonna let this sit and do it's thing then rack when I can pick up other containers on the 1st.

I have a similar thing in both my one gallon jugs. 6# raw wild flower honey, 2 gallons water, lalvin 71B yeast and stagger nutrient. OG 1.090 FG 1.002 four weeks ago and then racked from primary into these two jugs. The one with .2oz German Tettnang does not have as much of a film. Plan to use Dualfine and them Kmeta and Sorbate. Is this the proper order?

You was smooth, I am thinking that I was reacting to what was part of secondary fermentation. First time, jumpy about making a mistake.Tasted threatened it, waited 48 hours and bottled. Oh so pretty and cleared nice using Dualfine

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_015437324.jpg
    IMG_20180526_015437324.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back