Is this normal? (False bottom question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you'll need to put a barb on your ball valve inlet, then run a piece of tubing between them. Mine is the same way, and it works just fine.

It's a lot taller than my cooler false bottom but won't be an issue. Can you post a better picture of the fitting on the center of the false bottom?

I believe the false bottom I got is different than the normal NB FB. It's the same price it, but seemed to be stronger than the original one that's been at NB for years.

Note: I have been AG brewing with a bazooka screen for a year. Hoping this will fix my efficiency problems.

I believe the false bottom I got is different than the normal NB FB. It's the same price it, but seemed to be stronger than the original one that's been at NB for years.

Note: I have been AG brewing with a bazooka screen for a year. Hoping this will fix my efficiency problems.

Assuming you are going from batch to fly sparging it should..

^ Thanks for the link, but I wasn't inquiring as to the difference between fly & batch sparging, but rather how the Bazooka tube reacts differently under the different sparging methods.

Bazooka tubes are ideal for batch sparging because channeling is not a concern

If fly sparging, you really need a false bottom that is under the entire grain bed so that channeling is much less likely to occur.

Channeling greatly diminishes the positives of fly or continuous sparging. Specifically mash efficiency.

If you ever intend to do a continuous mash recirculation, RIMS or HERMS, you will be glad that you have a false bottom.

The elevation difference between barbs, is this normal?
View attachment 247337

I bought the false bottom from NB and wasn't expecting this kind of hight difference.

Can you show a better picture of the fitting on the false bottom? I can't tell why it would be so tall. That height difference is pretty extreme and probably for no good reason.

Can you show a better picture of the fitting on the false bottom? I can't tell why it would be so tall. That height difference is pretty extreme and probably for no good reason.

It appears to be backwards/inverted.

It looks like the nut that attaches to the 90 degree barb is on top of the false bottom instead of the bottom...

You need a right angle barb similar to this...

$(KGrHqEOKjcE0r,l-r+oBNdpEkMK!g~~_3.JPG

Back