Is this keg Stainless steel?? Making my own 15 gal stock pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I bought a keg with the hope it was SS, If its not im thinking its going to become wintertime smoker since its should block wind. It dose have slight surface rust so i was thinking its SS. Anyway i could check for a reaction or somthing? And whats the best way to get a possible small rust ring off the inside or keg?

kegggss.JPG

kegs.JPG

ring.JPG

rust.JPG

topkeg.JPG

Looks stainless to me. Is It magnetic? What's It look like if you scratch it? How hard is it to scratch?

That is stainless. I think the "rust" inside is beer stone. An acid based cleaner should take care of that. Us some Bar Keeper's Friend on the exterior rust spots if you are so inclined.

It's stainless just like the rest of them. I've seen posts about Aluminum kegs but I've never actually seen one in the wild and that one looks just like the four stainless ones in my brewery. You'd know it if was Al though because it would have been way easy to cut the top off if it was. Stainless is quite hard to cut and it usually takes me a couple sawz-all blades or grinder wheels to cut off a top. Al would cut like butter in comparison.

A little Bar Keeper's Friend will take off what ever surface rust you have.

Back