Is this keg broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbedeu

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I apologize if there's already a thread on this topic, I could not find it.

My problem: I operate a small microbrewery and I recently switched from Cornies to commercial 30l kegs. Have 2 beers on tap at the moment and one of them behaves strange. That is, when there's less than half a keg left, pouring it out happens with quite a lot of foam. From time to time there are some bursts heard from the keg, and immediately foam is coming out through the tap instead of clear beer. Although both kegs are on the same draft chiller and on the same CO2 tank, the other keg works just fine. Also, I guess I used the same keg a while back and it had the same behavior.

I hope I didn't bother. If you have some ideas, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,
der

Thanks a lot for the insight. Never soaked them for long in bleach, just for a few mins, then rinsed them and gave them a good starsan bath. What PapaO said makes a lot of sense, however I have to pry that keg open and see what’s wrong there. Once again, many thanks!

Hello, me again. Observed the same behavior on another keg, so I managed to open it up for inspection. To my surprise, the inner pipe is completely intact. So, any other clue? I have to say that my output hose is like 1.5 meters from the keg, however, beer flows irregularly even after the first few hundreds of milliliters have gone out... It drives me crazy, and again, it is only happening so far with just one recipe, though I am sure it should not count.

Did you actually test the dip tube or just take it out and look at it? Try switching dip tubes with one from a keg that works properly and see if the problem moves.

What PapaO said. Next time you break down the keg, inspect the spline carefully, any rough spots may be hiding a small hole. I don't know how it could get a hole in it, but if it's an older keg it's possible. If you can, get your hands on another spline that will fit and try it instead. It's always a good idea to have a spare on hand anyway as well as lock springs (I HATE those things, and I've got the scars on my fingers to prove it).

Back