Is this guy asking too much for these keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcoach

Reaction score
Caught this ad on CL (below). Decided I would like to take a look at them this weekend. Asked the guy if he was firm on the price ($250 for all 3), he said he was. I am thinking he is a little high. One is polished. Other 2 are not. All three already have the tops cut out. Nothing else has been done to them. I thought for the price he might of had a couple ball valves or false bottoms, but no. I was thinking more around $150 for the 3. Am I way off or is he way off?

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/4604016637.html

via cPro Craigslist App

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah that a rip...especially off of CL. I could understand if there were ball valves etc...but there isnt.
I bought two of mine from CL. Both had the tops already cut off and both kegs looked new (one was even half polished). I paid 120 for both. But I had to travel 80 miles one-way. But hey I wanted them!

Seems a little high, but fair enough if you're in the market and don't want to do the work to cut them yourself (kegs tend to run around $50 untouched.)

He's probably a little high. If they had valves welded into them, or false bottoms....maybe.

It's anecdotal, but when I got mine, I paid $35 for the keg, and $35 to cut the lid off and have valves welded on by a local guy.

Thanks for confirming for me. Not paying that much especially when I could cut the tops myself.

I wouldn't pay $250 for 3. Offer him $180 for the bunch and tell him if he doesn't sell after a while, you'll hold that offer for, say, a month. He might tell you to go pound sand, but then he might get back to you if he doesn't get any bites.

Uncut kegs go for around 50 on CL here, a little more if the tops are cut out. Occasionally I see people trying to sell them for $75-80, or even more. They tend to re-post day after day, so probably no takers at that price.

Yea, he has already told me he has had them posted for a few weeks and I am the first one to even ask about them. I'll let them sit another week and put an offer out to him.

Go get yourself a few kegs of your own for $30 bucks a piece and do the work yourself. I just finished my first one yesterday that I got from a buddy who delivers for a beer company. All he asked for is $30 to cover the deposit on it. He's bringing me two more this week! Can't wait. But yeah $250.00 is ridiculous especially with no valves!

Copper- the deposit is not a purchase price. Those kegs are owned by the brewery, or microstar. Only paying the deposit means you are stealing from the brewery.

$250 for 3 keggles?

I would very much prefer 3 Concord 15 gallon polished SS kettles with lids for $300 delivered to my door!

Sorry, not a fan of keggles. Odd shape, way heavier than need be, small top opening, top and bottom rims.

What's the attraction of keggles? I don't get it?

But then you miss all the DIY fun and expense of polishing kegs, not for me.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I agree. The only time I would bother converting kegs is if they were had for free or at scrap price of about $36. One application where kegs beat pots is if you flip them upside down and bottom drain. I'd take a keg based bottom drain mash tun over a flat bottom pot all day long. In this case, the guy already cut the tops off so nevermind that.

$90 for 3 SS kegs...yeah I can see why I prefer that rather than $300 for 3. You spend maybe an hour cutting the top out and polishing it up? Not hard at all

I agree. The only time I would bother converting kegs is if they were had for free or at scrap price of about $36. One application where kegs beat pots is if you flip them upside down and bottom drain. I'd take a keg based bottom drain mash tun over a flat bottom pot all day long. In this case, the guy already cut the tops off so nevermind that.

Just picked up 5 kegs for $130 and doing exactly that with 3 of them, and then using 2 as fermenters. And now I'm driving around with three of them in the bed of my pickup for the next three weeks until we move. :D

I just picked up 3 off CL that had the tops cut, valve on all 3 and and second fitting on all 3 for a temp probe. Plus he threw in 3 cases of bottles (some flip top) and a capper for $140. I have only brewed 2 beer kits and I am jumping all the way in now. lol

Back