Is this "flaked" rice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
Hey peeps - got my order from Austin Homebrew today. Part of my order was for 2.5# of flaked rice. This doesn't look like what I was expecting, and I called them and they said they only have one kind of rice - the flaked kind that you mash. But I'm still not totally convinced what I got is flaked rice. I took their word and just went ahead and brewed, but I did take some pics. My phone doesn't take good hi-res photos, so here are three...maybe you can tell me what I have.

I was under the impression that flaked rice would look very similar to flaked wheat or rye (except for color) - both of which I've used - but this is my first time using rice.

beerphonePictures 379.jpg

beerphonePictures 382.jpg

beerphonePictures 381.jpg

It's hard to tell with those pictures...but it looks like flaked rice to me. I'm guessing you got a bag that had been tossed around a little bit and the rice broke up into finer pieces.

yeah, those pictures do kind of suck - let me try to describe - they looked like rice kernels that had been milled...the shape of the grain (rice) was still very apparent...and they looked nothing like the stock photo they have on the site...and biting into them was kind of tough

and my pre-boil gravity was nearly 10 points under, i just had to add some dry extract to bring into acceptable range

i'm trying to RDWHAHB...

The flaked rice is not like the photo they show on the web But (there is a flaked rice in your grocery store that is the same);) Same thing just a bad pic IMO. Not yours the website

Latest posts

Back